Internship, Volunteering & Research Opportunities in the beautiful Aegean Islands
Students, recent graduates and scientists can join Archipelagos Institute of Marine Conservation and take part in its multidisciplinary research opportunities in the Aegean Sea islands.
Start your conservation career with a special experience!
Students and graduates are welcome to apply for placements through an internship, traineeship or voluntary programme, with the aim of enriching their knowledge with the practical experience of working in hands-on field research and conservation projects (see below the possible project areas). These take place within the beautiful landscape of the islands in the eastern Aegean Sea, Greece. They address several key conservation and scientific issues, which relate to the protection of the rare biodiversity in the region. The goal of Archipelagos’ placement program is to provide participants with research experience in the field, contributing directly towards the future of this unique ecosystem.
All internships are geared at developing your leadership and role model skills, allowing you to develop a variety of key skills, which can improve your future job prospects.
Archipelagos Institute of Marine Conservation is a Greek non-profit, non-governmental organization established in 1998 which is committed to researching and defending the rare biodiversity of the Greek seas and islands, as well as of the NE Mediterranean region overall.
In parallel with our research and conservation work, Archipelagos also hosts year-round students and young scholars from a wide range of disciplines in our research bases in the Aegean islands, who join us to support our efforts to protect the environment.
Marine Ecosystem Research
▪ Marine Mammal Research & Conservation
▪ Marine Ecology Research & Conservation
▪ Fisheries Research & Management
▪ Research in Coastal Biodiversity & Invasive Species
▪ Research in (Posidonia oceanica) Seagrass Meadows
▪ Development of the Aegean Marine Life Sanctuary
Other Fields of Research:
▪ Golden Jackal Research & Conservation
▪ Forest & Freshwater Ecosystem Management
▪ Mediterranean Chameleon Research & Conservation
▪ Bird Research & Conservation
▪ Agronomic Research & Seed Bank Projects
▪ Research in Microplastics
▪ Laboratory Assessment of Environmental Impacts
▪ Geo-information Specialisation for Environmental Conservation (GIS and Remote-Sensing)
▪ Applications of Renewable Energy Sources
▪ Island Flora Research & Conservation
ART, MEDIA AND DESIGN
▪ Scientific Illustration of Flora & Fauna
▪ Graphic & Animation Design for Conservation
▪ Wildlife & Landscape Photography
▪ Nature Video / Film Production
▪ Public Relations / Social Media / Website Development
▪ Environmental Education
▪ Information Technology
▪ Environmental Law & Policies
▪ Administrative Work
Placement details: Duration: 3-12 months is (shorter duration is considered on a case-by-case basis)
Location: Archipelagos’ main research bases are on Lipsi and Samos islands. Opportunities to visit and work at the other stations in the eastern Aegean Sea are available (Ikaria, Arki, Marathi islands). Placements also include working on board the research boats giving you opportunities to further improve your technical skills.
Costs: Placement fee of 650 euros/month covers accommodation, full board and all placement costs.
(frequently placement fee and travel etc expenses are covered by grants such as Erasmus+, or other equivalent)
Send resume, motivation letter (no more than two pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org and request an application form
We hope to see you soon on the beautiful the Aegean islands!
Return to Marine Research Expeditions