PADI Instructor and Marine Educator
PADI Instructors and Marine Educators sought in the Philippines
Start date: ASAP
NGO Marine Conservation Philippines (MCP) is growing the team, and is seeking two PADI instructors who bring additional skills to the table too. Both couples and singles may apply. Emphasis is placed on what other skills you are bringing, and you are welcome to apply as a junior PADI instructor with only modest instructional experience. It is permanent positions, and candidates will be chosen on skill set and potential to grow into senior roles in the organization in the future.
MCP has a very high ratio of continued education, and most volunteers who join us are already certified divers. You have to be ok with team teaching initially and us prescribing how we want things to be on our courses. Our courses are typically 25-50% longer than industry standard, because we insist on teaching to a very high standard. We need divers with excellent skills to join our science teams, so you are encouraged to keep practicing with your students until they are ready. Preference is given to technical divers and tec instructors. If you are not a tec diver, we are happy to teach you. Volunteers who join our DM and internship programs expect to be taught by instructors who are way above the cut and highly knowledgeable and experienced. If this is not you yet, it will be.
Aside from being a PADI instructor, (experienced or not) you bring something else to the table too. We are growing the team a lot, and there’s a multitude of job functions we need covered, outside of just what’s encompassed in this ad.
We are searching for people with academic background and ideally practical experience in conservation field work, marine science, biology, ecology, oceanography and related fields. Tell us what you can do. Strong math / stats / programming / presentation skills in Python, R and Tableau is another possibility. We are also looking a skilled videographer and/or photographer, (who has their own gear) to do some content.
On the odd chance that you’re a PADI course director, we’d love to hear from you too. We’re searching for one!
- You’re a PADI and EFR instructor in current status (and will specify how many certifications of different levels you’ve done in your application)
- You’re highly motivated, energetic, passionate, fit and healthy
- You’re extrovert and a bit of a social butterfly. You are sociable and easy to get along with. You take a natural interest in people around you and you’re an olympic champion at small talk
- You appreciate people around you having a sense of humor, and are not easily offended
- You will join a team of senior instructors, and will help teach all courses (potentially divemaster, instructor and technical courses too, to the degree you’re able to)
- You of course need time off like everyone else, but you will live on campus and be present at most meals and take active part in the social life at base
- You are able to handle and prioritize a multitude of different tasks, and generally are able to take things calmly and in strides. Inevitably things will break or fail, and staff will fall ill too. When it happens, you can calmly make alternate plans and carry on, preferably without too much of a frown
- Good fixed salary (qualifications dependent)
- Annual PADI and EFR fees paid by employer
- All food covered, (3 daily meals and free snacks, tea, coffee + free access kitchen policy)
- 4 weeks paid holiday annually + additional unpaid leave optional. Sundays off.
- Private accommodation provided with free utilities and free phone credit
- Free use of vehicles in spare time (trucks and motorbikes)
- May freely enroll in any PADI training conducted at base cost of materials and certification
- You’ve absolute visited our website, and found our videos on Youtube
- You understand MCP is a scientific non-profit organization, not a dive shop
- Valid drivers license (you will be driving 20ft trucks with manual transmission)
- You’re healthy, and very rarely ill or have any ear issues with diving
- You are comfortable using Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- You’ve got no criminal background
Additionally these skills are considered valuable, but not required for the job:
- Previous work experience in the Philippines or a Filipino background
- Previous work as staff or volunteer in similar citizen science projects
- Previous work as staff or volunteer in camp or similar 24/7 environments
- Compressor and dive gear maintenance
- Tec diver or tec instructor
- Web design (WordPress, SEO)
- IT technical knowledge
We’re an easy going multinational group of colleagues, and we care not about age, skin color or sexual orientation. As long as you’re a nice person, (and shower with some frequency) you can have all the tattoos you want and look like a wookie.
How to apply
Your application should contain at a minimum: resume with references and cover letter (PADI instructors kindly attach a screendump of your certification count from the PADI website)