Assistant Program Manager - Mexico
Start Date: ASAP
Location: Puerto Morelos, Mexico
About the role
Puerto Morelos is nestled in the Mexican Caribbean Riviera between the two massive tourist magnets of Cancun and Playa del Carmen. A small sleepy fishing town coupled with Mexico´s Autonomous University marine science installations makes for an interesting arrangement. As part of the Mesoamerican Reef System, the second biggest in the world, Puerto Morelos reefs are a natural protected area designated as a national marine park. Our GVI hub in Puerto Morelos, Mexico, runs a marine conservation program with a community outreach project. The Assistant Program Manager’s role at the hub is to work with the Program Manager in overseeing the effective day-to-day running of the program operations, as well as manage the staff and volunteers on base. The ideal candidate for this position will be able to adapt quickly to changing conditions on the go, achieve solutions to challenges, enjoy working with people from different cultures and backgrounds, be at ease in a communal living environment, and be passionate about marine conservation. They will have experience with leadership, specifically, staff and volunteer management, have a professional qualification in diving, and speak fluent Spanish.
You are passionate about tackling marine conservation issues and believe that how we measure and understand the environmental impact is critical to ensuring the protection and preservation of our planet.
You are a self-starter who rolls up your sleeves to get things done and enjoys tackling a wide variety of tasks as part of your day-to-day. You are looking for an opportunity that will allow you to engage, and build relationships, with like-minded people from all over the globe.
What you will do
- Work alongside staff team to manage a group of 20+ volunteers, ensuring that as a GVI staff member you are approachable and available to the group
- Help to manage daily logistics, administration, and operational tasks, and overseeing the completion of assigned tasks and deliverable
- Provide training , briefings and career development courses when needed to enable volunteers to have positive impacts on project
- Conduct mentor meetings weekly
- Schedule internship activities and training
- Ensure strict H&S standards are met by staff and volunteers and provide basic first aid advice
- Help ensure volunteers have a positive experience, identify any issues and work towards solutions
- Manage base resupply, ensuring there is adequate food & supplies for base at the best possible price
- Supervise the development of the GVI Puerto Morelos social media platforms (e.g Facebook, Instagram) and Alumni Program with input from staff and volunteers
- Assist team to meet GVI fundraising objectives and overall charitable trust
- Assist in basic accounting, reviewing, and updating presentations and documents
- Assist the staff through their immigration procedures to obtain work visas
- Support the PM to deliver report
What you will need
- Driving License (manual stick shift vehicles)
- Educated to GVSE or equivalent level
- PADI Dive Master or above certification
- EFR Instructor
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written) and excellent Spanish communication skills
- Commitment, drive and enthusiasm to develop yourself and motivate others
- Hardworking, with the ability to show and use initiative
- Flexible, open-minded and adaptable
- Easy-going and excited about being a part of a global family on a mission to make a difference
- Likes challenges and obtains positive results.
- Ability to lead by example, good interpersonal skills, strong initiative & positive proactive work ethic
- Proven experience and competence in administration and logistics
- At least 50 dives in a professional diver certification level.
- Past experience or background in internship coordination and outreach or a similar field
- Past volunteer or volunteer management work experience
- Marine, community and social development background, both academic and/or work experience
- Participation in expedition and volunteer style work experience, and volunteer work
- Management/planning background
- Past experience with dive operations and marine conservation
- Past experience working in remote locations
- Past experience working closely with local communities
What we offer
- Monthly salary
- Visa costs (if applicable)
- Emergency medical and travel insurance
In addition, GVI has the following perks:
- Training fund
- Social allowance
- Leadership development
- In-house counselling support
- Growth opportunities across our 17 locations!
GVI is an international multi-award-winning social enterprise on a mission to build a global network of people united by their passion to make a difference. We run programs in 13 countries worldwide aligned to the objectives of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. GVI is a platform for personal growth, and our staff have the ability to develop themselves across teams, departments, and even locations! We value passion, authenticity, entrepreneurship and innovation and treat all of our stakeholders with respect and compassion above everything else.
You can find out more about the types of work we do, and who we are as an organization here.
How to apply
Please submit your CV, along with your portfolio and a detailed motivation letter as to why you’d be a brilliant fit for this role