Volunteer Coordinator Internship
PLEASE NOTE: This is an un-paid staff position
The daily management of Atoll Volunteers is undertaken by our resident Volunteer Coordinator. The work is varied and includes many different tasks such as organising individual volunteer placements, volunteer activities, community events, web-management (website, social media, listings etc.), conflict resolution, short and long-term planning of different projects, writing grant proposals and progress reports to international donor agencies (UNDP, World Bank & UNODC) and much, much more!
Taking on the role of Volunteer Coordinator is not just a retreat to a nice sunny tropical island (although you will get ample opportunity to experience that as well), as you will be given the responsibility to ensure that the organisation runs both smoothly and effectively. We are looking for a disciplined person who can manage his/her time responsibly and keep a healthy balance between work and fun.
We attract volunteers from all over the world, and from many different backgrounds. You will interact with them on a daily basis and ensure that they have a good and meaningful stay with us. You will also get to work closely with our many local volunteers and get the chance to form great friendships in the local and welcoming populace of Naifaru.
- Recruitment of international volunteers, including but not limited to: posting on websites, developing content, contacting partner organisations and increasing Atoll Volunteers’ online presence.
- Answering queries from prospective international volunteers.
- Managing international volunteers’ stay in the Maldives and ensuring current volunteers’ wellbeing.
- Developing capacity and assisting in administrative duties of Atoll Volunteers.
- Maintaining our activity on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube).
- Marketing and developing materials to create new relationships with partner organisations
- Welcoming and briefing new volunteers.
- Performing on-going evaluations of our volunteer programmes.
- Composing reports and grant proposals for agencies such as the UNDP, UNFPA, UNODC and World Bank.
- Managing volunteer bookings, invoicing and accounts
- Coordinating and organising events for the local community, such as anti-drug campaigns, women empowerment activities and youth development programmes.
- Promoting and running our shop, Maldives Originals, which showcases handmade crafts from local people on our island
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Experience with working with volunteers
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and verbally, and relay complicated information in a user-friendly manner.
- Experience using social media and online campaigning in a professional setting.
- Experience with working with HR or the NGO sector is desirable.
- Good organisational skills with the ability to work independently and under time pressure.
- A strong interest in development issues such as human rights, gender equality and youth development.
- Bachelor’s, Master’s or professional degree in a relevant field.
- 6 months commitment.
The position is unpaid but includes accommodation, food and domestic transport in the Maldives.
What’s in it for you?
Whether you’re an experienced professional looking to take a sabbatical, or a student looking for experience, we guarantee that interning with us will not only be a fantastic learning experience, but also a lot of fun!
In becoming our new Volunteer Coordinator, you will truly be able to make a difference where it matters!
In joining our team of local and international volunteers, you will gain a unique opportunity to help our community, bringing excellent managerial skills and fresh ideas to our organisation and projects.
Becoming our Volunteer Coordinator will grant you a fantastic chance to experience life in the “real” Maldives, outside of the crowded and expensive tourist resorts! There are just over 6000 inhabitants on Naifaru so expect to be living in a small island community where everybody knows each other. Here you will be welcomed with open arms with a real sense of hospitality! With an amazing environment, equally amazing community and dedicated local and international volunteers, you will always feel at home!
All work and no fun!?
NO! There’s plenty of time for fun as well! We do what we can to engage our volunteers in social activities at the weekend, for example arranging weekly boat trips to neighbouring islands. Here we can enjoy the sun, swim, snorkel, or just kick back and relax! As Volunteer Coordinator you will be tasked with organising fun and exciting activities for our volunteers, (and you also get to join in these yourself)!
You will never forget your time here in Naifaru! There is always something going on, and you will always be met with open arms and a friendly face. Take the time to wander down one of the many intricate side alleys and experience first-hand the very special atmosphere unlike any you will find in the world.
We could talk about the splendors of living in a friendly, remote, island community all day, but really, it has to be experienced to get that true feeling of island life!
Don’t hesitate – join us and change your life and those of our community today!
To apply please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for applications is 31st March 2019.
Interviews will be held on a rolling basis. The starting date will be approximately 9th May 2019