TIC Conservation and Research Assistant
We have divided the whole season in 3 terms of 11 weeks each, giving the option to students and recent graduates to be part of our program. We offer 4-5 vacancies per term.
1st Term: Starting 02/03/20 – Ending 18/05/20 (Deadline: 13th of February)
2nd Term: Starting 25/05/20 – Ending 10/08/20
3rd Term: Starting 17/08/20 – Ending 02/11/20
Location - Johor Marine Park - Malaysia
Tengah Island Conservation (TIC) is a non-profit biodiversity management initiative located on Pulau Tengah, an island within the Johor Marine Park, Malaysia. TIC is dedicated to the research, rehabilitation and regeneration of our natural environment. Our systemic and community-driven approach is to conserve and protect flora, fauna and marine ecosystems by informing, inspiring and involving relevant stakeholders, government, biodiversity specialists, the tourism industry, and local community.
- Conservation of the endangered Green Turtle and critically endangered Hawksbill Turtle
- Reef Monitoring: Underwater surveys on coral reefs; substrate survey, fish survey and mapping coral reefs.
- Beach and underwater clean-ups
- Micro-mammals and invertebrates study
- Habitat restoration;
- Educational activities with guests and resort staff
The first two weeks of each phase will be used for the intern ́s training. The training will be a mix of theory and field work exercises and will include:
- Sea turtle conservation techniques.
- Reef monitoring tecnhniques.
- Fish and coral ID
- Data analysis (CPCe software)
- Research scuba diving.
- Public engagment.
- Be 18 years old or above.
- Background in conservation and research. Graduates in biology, marine biology, environmental sciences and related degrees will be given priority.
- Be comfortable in the water / Good swimmer.
- Physical fit to walk long distances on both sand and in the jungle.
- Hold a minimum of PADI Advanced scuba diving certification or equivalent certfication (applicants with Open Water certification and over 15 logged dives will be considered as well)
- Comfortable to share a room with a member of the opposite sex.
- Hold medical/travel insurance valid for Malaysia and up to date dive insurance.
- Outgoing, friendly, team player, open minded, passionate about nature and conservation.
- Be able to communicate and write in English.
Starting from RM 6,600 (approximately USD 1,600 / EUR 1,400)
Internship pack includes
- Food & Accommodation
- Boat Transfer to the island
- All training, material & equipment
- Diving & Diving equipment
It is also possible to complete PADI diving courses, at your own expense, upon advance booking.