Contract Type: Independent Contractor
Duration of Contract: Estimated 40 hours over a period of 4-6 weeks starting early 2020 - flexible hours per day
Location: Remote (to interact with Central Support Office in Cape Town, South Africa)
Remuneration: Hourly rate - $50 USD per hour
GVI is one of the world’s leading, high-quality sustainable development and experiential education organizations. We are a social enterprise, and our mission is to build a global network of people who together can make a long-term positive impact on the world around us, while also generating profits.
It’s a hugely exciting time to join GVI, as we’re partnering with highly prestigious USA university partners to launch the Impact Academy in 2020. The Impact Academy’s programs are designed to help students build purposeful careers in global social development or conservation
To join us in this exciting new phase, we are seeking industry professionals who are passionate about playing an important role in developing a future generation of sustainable development leaders.
We are seeking a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in marine conservation; who has advanced knowledge and extensive working experience in international development. The SME will have intimate familiarity with topics such as global marine biodiversity, sustainable management of local fisheries, marine protected areas, endangered species, coral reefs, and marine plastics.
The seasoned SME will work with our learning design team in Cape Town to help guide the development of a comprehensive, tailored online syllabus within their area of expertise that is centered on the skills that employers are looking for in these industries
- Work with our instructional designers and course writers to create a syllabus comprised of 5 modules and a detailed lesson design plan, including learning outcomes
- Provide relevant and current resources to support the development of the Course, including recommending reference texts and practical toolkits
- Be accessible by email, telephone and face-to-face meetings where applicable at reasonable notice to our team
- Review and provide feedback on the agreed components for each module, which includes learning outcomes, module notes, video lectures and interviews, quiz questions and feedback, discussion forum topics, relevant documents and links for supplementary reading material, assessment questions and marking guidelines
- During the presentation of each course, assist our Instructors with course content queries as they arise, and collaborate with our learning design team to improve course content after each presentation
- Experienced practitioner (minimum 10 years’ working in the subject area), who has a strong grasp of academic theory and a passion for sustainable development
- Masters degree (PhD preferred)
- Some teaching background (either in an Adjunct role or internal organizational training) preferably to undergraduate level students both in person and online
- Passionate about translating practical knowledge into accessible learning activities
- Excellent communicator, sensitive listening and questioning skills, able to simplify complex concepts and collaborate with our instructional designers and team
- Experience in e-learning preferred
- Strong writing and editing skills to provide support in the writing of curriculum
- Ability to work remotely, using Google docs and Zoom/Skype
Please submit your CV and a cover letter that clearly demonstrates your strong track record in the subject area to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line please mention what position you are applying for.
We will do our very best to respond to every single applicant, but if you do not hear back from us within 2-3 weeks, please consider that on this occasion your application was unsuccessful.