Social Media & Marketing Communications Internship Overview
The Amiga Island Ecological Foundation is a non-profit organization focused on the protection, preservation and enhancement of our critically threatened marine ecosystem here in Haiti. Our focus area is primarily to restore and monitor the reef system surrounding Amiga Island, which is just off of the village of Labadee, not far from Cap-Hatien, Haiti. We are currently accepting applications for a short to mid-term internship position (3 to 6 months). The selected candidate will work to gain experience in running a social media campaign, as well as with environmental non-profit marketing. Activities may including producing and managing social media content, local and internet-based marketing, soliciting donations and handling customer relations management. The selected candidate can expect to gain knowledge and field-experience in communications specifically in the non-profit environmental sector. The candidate may also be expected to work independently at times, managing a range of tasks and may not always work under direct supervision. The intern will work on a variable but full-time basis.
Social Media & Marketing Communications Internship Responsibilities
The responsibilities and duties of the selected candidate may include but are not limited to the following.
- Procuring or creating visual media content to be used for social media, marketing, educational materials, executive reports, donor outreach and customer relations management
- Writing or reformatting written documents to be used for social media, marketing, educational materials, executive reports, donor outreach and customer relations management
- Assisting with and/or taking a leadership role to plan, design and execute regular posts for social media including Facebook and Instagram
- Assisting with and/or taking a leadership role to plan, design and execute the regular collection of emails via our partnerships with local tourism and hotel partners
- Assisting with and/or taking a leadership role to plan, design and execute regular communication via email newsletters
- Assist with Foundation activities including but not limited to eco-tours, educational workshops, diving and snorkelling activities in order to produce photos and videos to be used for social media, marketing and other purposes.
- Have fun and be a team player, maintain a positive attitude and commit to working well with team members and others including locals and tourists. Be an advocate for the environment and highlight the ways in which we can make a difference. Promote the protection, preservation and enhancement of local marine resources and be a generally good steward to the environment.
Position Requirements Education
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, or Media Production (Essential)
- Degree or coursework related to Environmental Studies or Marine Science (Desirable)
Experience and Skills
- Media Production including photography and/or video production
- Social Media management, including Facebook and Instagram platforms
- Customer Relation Management including regular newsletter production
- Graphic Design experience and access to design programs such as Adobe
- Production of presentation using programs such as Powerpoint, Word etc.
- Experience in report writing with excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to read and speak fluent English, preference for French or Kreyol skills
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment with strong problem-solving skills
- Water skills including experience snorkelling, boating and SCUBA diving
- Ability to work independently on certain tasks with minimal direct supervision
Interns must complete assigned tasks on time and with quality; must be punctual and represent the best interest of AIEF. Previous work with non-profit environmental groups is preferred.
Divers Insurance (if applicant is a diver) Medical Insurance
Internship length: 3-6 months.
This is a full-time internship requiring an estimated 38 work hours per week. No vacation is awarded but days off can be flexible.
Compensation and Benefits
- Gain field experience in managing a social media campaign, for which we already have an incredible story and a constant stream of content and photos for your support.
- Gain field experience in the environmental non-profit sector. Learn about the challenges and benefits faced by operating media relations in this rapidly growing sector.
- Contribute to a conservation project in a long-term and meaningful way. Your participation will be more than just a training opportunity, you can make a difference and help preserve the local environment and reefs by getting the word out!
- On-site beach-front lodging with air conditioning, regular electricity, 24-hour running-water, hot-water access, Wi-Fi and laundry.
- All necessary office space and materials to conduct work.
- 8 days off per month (No vacation days included, but days-off can be flexible with senior approval).
- Opportunity to learn more about eco-tourism, snorkelling and SCUBA diving. Possibility to get certified, pending funding and participant interest.
- A monthly stipend of $300 USD, with an additional food stipend of $200 USD (all cooking and food preparation is the intern’s responsibility) access to cooking area including a fridge, gas stove, sink and designated food storage area.
A typical day in this internship:
Wake up to the sound of the sea in the beautiful beach resort of Cormier Plage and meet with the AIEF team to discuss the days’ diving and work plan over breakfast. After a quick shuttle ride, make your own decision on if you’d like to work on some media overlooking the beach or want to hop aboard the dive boat and head out to Amiga Island, to help snap photos of the picturesque focal point that our Coral Restoration Program endeavours to protect. Enjoy mingling with tourist guests and helping to explain our story by showing them some recent shots, sharing our social media platforms with them and jotting down some emails to bolster our newsletter list. Afterwards take a short rest on tropical white sand and soak it all in, taking some notes to capture the vibe, so it can be posted to our Instagram page later on. Once back at base work on system level structure for the marketing campaign and get a few new stories up on our page, helping to share the incredible experience on an international scale. The ideal candidate should be sociable, and happy to educate and inspire wonder at what’s just under the waves. Become an advocate for the marine environment, and promote AIEF’s projects in order to raise awareness both online and at local events. Make a difference with your input and effort!
Please send your Resume and a cover letter (2 sides of A4/Letterhead max.), to:
Coral Reef Biologist: Sean Darlow (firstname.lastname@example.org) Project Co-coordinator: Jeremy Raynor (email@example.com)
Application Deadline: Rolling Applications until positions are filled
Your covering letter should outline why you believe you fit the role responsibilities and candidate requirements for the role. Successful applicants will be contacted for interview. Good luck!