This project has been specially designed for those looking to volunteer, but are aged between 15 and 17 years old. Throughout this project, volunteers will have supervision, training, and world-class leaders in the field who have been chosen for their mix of relevant experience and ability to mentor and inspire young adults.
Based in Giannitsochori, you will live and work with a team of international volunteers and staff to conserve and protect one of the most important loggerhead turtle nesting areas in Greece.
The team will engage in daily morning and night surveys (depending on nesting activity) to record nesting activity and protect turtle nests against predation by mammals and inundation by sea water. Volunteers will also provide important conservation information to overseas visitors and the local community.
You will also have a weekend to enjoy some cultural activities in the surrounding area, a beautiful and historic region of Greece known for its mythological history of heroes and their quests.
- Hands-on work with one of the most endangered species in the Mediterranean
- Seeing turtles lay their eggs and watching the hatchlings head for the sea;
- Exploring nearby nature reserves and admiring the local architecture
- Experiencing Greek culture first hand in a beautiful area which you can explore in your free time
- Taking your first steps towards your career in conservation and making a lasting contribution to the preservation of endangered turtles.
To find out more about GVI projects and how you can join, please visit the GVI Expedition Page.