Sea Trust is a non-profit marine conservation organisation based in the Ocean Lab, Fishguard Harbour, Pembrokeshire. We conduct daily land-based cetacean surveys and regular ferry based cetacean surveys. We also run a small marine aquarium open to visitors and local school groups. The Sea Trust’s Sea Môr Aquarium is a catch and release aquarium with conservation education at its core. All funds raised from the running of this aquarium are used either to run or develop the aquarium or for our marine wildlife conservation work (cetacean surveys, photo-ID etc.)
Our mission is to inspire locals and visitors alike to enjoy, learn and care about the local marine wildlife and its conservation, as well as the oceans as a whole. We need your help to do that!
We are looking for 3 interns from 13 July to 13 September 2019. Internship programmes are 35 hours per week over 5 days and will include weekend work on a rota basis. These positions are unpaid, but offer valuable experience and training. Accommodation will be available at a reasonable cost.
- Assisting with land based harbour porpoise surveys, this includes taking photographic images of the porpoise for our Porpoise Photo ID project
- Data entry & analysis
- Assist with processing images and input into porpoise photo ID database
- Providing aquarium tours to the general public and school groups
- Aquarium feeding and maintenance
- Assist with our Ocean Guardians project which aims to reduce single use plastic in the local community
- Assist the Sea Trust team in their day to day duties: front of house, gift shop work, cleaning etc.
- Occasional cetacean ferry surveys on the Fishguard to Rosslare ferry route
- Occasional small boat cetacean surveys
We are looking for enthusiastic team players with a passion for marine wildlife. If interested, please apply by sending a copy of your CV and a cover letter detailing why you want this position to firstname.lastname@example.org. We can put you in touch with our current / past interns if you would like information from their perspective.
Closing date: 17 April 2019