If you are between the ages of 15 and 17, and have already earned your PADI Open Water Diver certificate, then you are well on your way to becoming a professional diver. Continue your diver training by joining other teens from around the world on Mexico’s Riviera Maya coast to perfect your diving skills and learn about what it takes to pursue a career in marine conservation.
GVI has successfully been operating ethical and responsible programs for under 18s since 2012. Since then, it has treated health and safety as a number one priority, and takes extra measures for its under 18 programs. As such, it is also a British Standards 8848 compliant provider.
Learn from real marine conservationists about the ongoing projects they set up and manage in Mexico. While it is important to remember that the specific details of each project change over time, we have listed some of the typical activities teens can expect to get involved in below.
Find out how the recovery of the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef, the second largest in the world, is supported by local authorities growing coral fragments in laboratories for later transplantation onto the reef. Learn how you can start using a method of coral monitoring designed by the University of Queensland to assist them with conducting research of the effects of climate change and other environmental factors on coral reefs worldwide. Walk the famously idyllic Carribean beaches conducting Endangered sea turtle and plastic pollution research. There will also be an opportunity to learn about the importance of sustainable fishing and coastal mangrove habitats.
You will also visit the region’s iconic cenotes and Mayan ruins along with your new friends. Throughout your stay you will be dining on tacos, quesadillas, and other Mexican delicacies. Although all teen participants are greeted by GVI staff at their arrival destination, flight chaperoning services are also available upon request. Chaperones provide on-flight accompaniment and in-airport assistance. To book this service please contact one of our enrollment managers.
- Get PADI Advanced Open Water Diver certified.
- Find out if marine biology is a career you might like to pursue.
- Successfully complete this program and get a professional reference from your program manager. You’ll also have the option of earning a certificate endorsed by the University of Richmond if you choose to complete our included online leadership course, which is valued at £295.
- Contribute to United Nations Sustainable Development Goal, #14, Life Below Water.
- Experience the technicolour underwater landscapes of the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef first-hand.
- Marvel at Mayan ruins and sample authentic Mexican flavours.
- Make new friends with teens from all four corners of the globe.
For more information on this program and details on how you can apply, please visit the GVI Website!
To find out what other amazing projects GVI have to offer, please visit their Marine Expedition page!