SRI is currently accepting applications for the Operations Manager position for a start date of 1st March 2021. This is a full-time position with a salary, and food/accommodation in staff and volunteer housing is provided free of charge.
The Operations Manager is responsible for overseeing the daily operations at Seal Rescue Ireland (SRI). SRI is a small organisation so candidates must be extremely versatile with the ability to take on multiple roles. Duties will include but are not limited to overseeing the finances, office administration, HR, Health & Safety, delegating out duties, recruiting/training new staff and volunteers, networking, programme development, and execution of its mission. The successful candidate will supervise Animal Care Managers, interns, & volunteers and will work closely with the Executive Director and senior managers to help the organisation to be as productive and efficient as possible through continuous review, problem solving and improvement of key processes, policies and procedures. This person must be passionate about the mission and be self-motivated with the ability to juggle multiple projects/tasks at once. Although the Animal Care Managers are responsible for the daily care of the seals, the Operations Manager will be involved in planning releases and other aspects that deal with animal care - yet it must be noted this position is expected to be overseeing the departments rather than directly being involved in animal care daily - but stepping in when needed or being there for advice or training new management. This position must be available to work on site.
Reporting Relationship This position reports to the Executive Director
Full Time Position: 40 hrs/week
- Ensure smooth running of daily operations of the animal hospital, gift shop/education centre, and staff/volunteer housing.
- Work closely with management team to identify improvement opportunities and create action plans
- Utilise Salesforce CRM for programme management and animal database
- Oversee programme management and development
- Represent SRI positively at public facing and networking events
- Aid in fundraising and administrative tasks
- Participate in educational talks, tours and events
- Assist on animal care, research, conservation projects when needed
- Oversee scheduling, timesheets and annual leave requests of staff/volunteers
- Implementing Company Handbook and employee/volunteer policies
- Team Management
- Schedule and facilitate team meetings and check ins
- Aid in Intern/volunteer recruitment, training, evaluations and management
- Delegate duties as needed
Health & Safety
- Oversee, review and ensure compliance with existing policies and procedures to ensure safety of staff, volunteers and visitors
- Serve as COVID-19 Health & Safety Representative
- Oversee invoicing, bill payment and cash handling
- Utilise Sage One accounting programme
- Monitor and report on budgets across programmes
- Liaise with SRI's bookkeeper, accountant and auditors to oversee and maintain financial compliance
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties and you will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by your changing role within the organisation and the overall business objectives of the organisation.
Experience and Qualities Required:
- Minimum of 2 years management experience; track record of effectively leading organisations andstaff. Prior experience managing volunteers is desired.
- Qualification in Business Administration, Operation Management, Project Management, Communication Management, HR or similar
- Experience in a growing organisation with complex processes and structures
- Driven to work under own initiative with the ability to problem solve complex issues and find workable solutions
- Ability to create clear measurable plans and communicate them effectively to audiences at all levels
- Must be proficient in Microsoft programs such as Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Public speaking skills are required
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to program management
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven and self-directed.
- Excellence in organisational management with the ability to coach staff, manage and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives and manage a budget.
- The ability to multitask and handle multiple projects at once is a requirement.
- Must be able and willing to delegate duties since a successful operation depends on this.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills. Fluency in English is required.
- Willingness to work long, irregular hours, weekends and holidays when needed.
- The role involves lifting of animals, feed and equipment. Applicant could be lifting up to 25 kg when covering for animal care.
- Must be eligible to work within Ireland/EU and must be physically based in Ireland at time of hiring due to Covid-19 travel restrictions.
- The Operations Manager must be thoroughly committed to SRI's mission.
- Interest/experience in the field of conservation, environmental protection and/or animal care
- Full, clean driving license
- Experience event planning, marketing, or fundraising is desired.
- Advanced Degree in Business Administration, Operations Management, Project Management, Communication Management, HR or similar
The position is full-time, 40-hour work week within a dynamic team. The position will be based in Courtown, Co. Wexford. Onsite accommodation is required for the first 6 months of the position. In order to facilitate this, the successful candidate will be provided with accommodation in our volunteer & staff housing at no cost. Utilities and basic groceries will also be provided.
The salary will be in the region of €22.000-€25.000 (negotiable depending on skills and experience).
SRI requires flexibility around the role and staff may be asked to move between departments and locations. All staff support fundraising, communications and campaigns. These terms are subject to change. You must undergo garda vetting.
How to apply
Please complete the application form listed at the beginning of this job posting and email it to email@example.com.
Seal Rescue Ireland (SRI) is a registered charity (RCN 20108519) that works around the clock to rescue, rehabilitate and release seal pups found sick, injured or orphaned across the coast of Ireland. Based in Courtown, Co Wexford, as the only seal rescue centre in the Republic of Ireland, they respond to reports nationwide and aim to rehabilitate the pups back to full health so they can be returned to the wild. SRI promotes ocean conservation and sustainability through active education, community engagement and research programmes, in order to protect our marine environment and all life within.