VOLUNTEER AND INTERN RECRUITMENT FOR THE MONTENEGRO DOLPHIN RESEARCH (SOUTH ADRIATIC SEA)
The Montenegro Dolphin Research is a scientific project run by Marine Mammals Research Association (DMAD). Our study is the first and only long term research study of marine mammals in Montenegrin coastal waters, with recent surveys covering until to the central coastline of Albania. We aim to address questions about marine mammal abundance, distribution and behavior, define critical habitats and investigate the impact of major threats, ranging from tourism to seismic practices. Our wider attention focuses on the promotion and implementation of awareness initiatives targeted at the local community, particularly youth and women.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We offer several volunteering and internship positions: this is an extremely valuable opportunity for graduates, that wish to gain experience in the marine mammal research field, and undergraduates, that would like to obtain internship academic credits. It could be used to develop a scientific project for BSc and MSc thesis. However, we are also open to accept applications from anyone whose love for dolphins is strong and sincere.
Opportunities are available starting from February 2019.
The minimum duration of the placements is 2 MONTHS, with possible exceptions for skilled candidates.
- True interest for marine conservation, self-motivation, maturity and ability to work responsibly,
- Ability to cohabit in a dynamic and multicultural environment,
- Respect for the organization's rules and willingness to follow standards and procedures;
- Proven experience of working effectively as part of a team,
- Fluent English (both spoken and written) and good communication skills,
- Willingness to learn new software applications,
- Background in marine biology and previous fieldwork experience are an advantage.
FIELD WORK AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performing land-based surveys at least three times a week, including sunrise and sunset hours,
- Performing boat-based surveys at least once a week: boat surveys can be long and often tiring, so you are expected to feel comfortable on board and prepared to handle motion sickness,
- Collecting dolphins sighting and behavior data, as well as environmental and anthropogenic data,
- Operating theodolite and managing its software Pythagoras,
- Data entry and analysis,
- Cataloging and matching individuals of target species for photo-ID studies via Discovery software,
- Raising stakeholder awareness through conservation actions,
- Promoting citizen-science activities.
The Montenegro Dolphin Research team provides lectures and field work training as well as constant mentoring.
You will be given the chance to learn the most popular methodologies used in marine mammals research such as:
- ArcGIS mapping,
- Theodolite operation and Pythagoras software,
- Discovery, Darwin and Logger 2010 software,
- Systematic data collection and data analysis,
- Visual and acoustic behaviour of marine mammals,
- Scientific manuscript and technical report writing skills.
PROJECT PARTICIPATION FEE
The positions quire a contribution fee of 700 Euros / month which includes:
- Accommodation and expenses
- Transportation between the project sites within and between Montenegro and Albania
- Training and lectures
- Scientific support
- Field work
- Use of the equipment
Applicants are responsible for their transportation to/from Montenegro, meals, insurance (all participants should have health and/or travel insurance) and personal expenses.
HOW TO APPLY
Email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org (Aylin Akkaya Bas) explaining why you are the perfect asset for our team and which goals you hope to achieve with us! Please mention the PERIOD OF INTEREST AND DURATION OF AVAILABILITY!
If you wish to have more info about our work and get to know us better follow our websites:
Dr. Aylin Akkaya Baş
Scientific Director of Marine Mammals Research Association
Head Project Coordinator of Montenegro Dolphin Research
Deniz Memelileri Araştırma Derneği (DMAD)
skype: aylin.akkaya3 email@example.com www.dmad.org.tr www.cetazoom.org https://sancet.wixsite.com/sancet https://www.instagram.com/marinemammalsresearch/ https://www.facebook.com/DMADforNature/