Join our international team located on Mexico’s Carribean coast to gain experience in marine conservation and start your career in the field. The team here work with local authorities to protect the unique habitat of the Marine Biosphere Reserve of the Mexican Caribbean home to unique habitats such as coral reefs, seagrass meadows, mangrove forests, and Mexico’s famously magical cenotes.
Your internship will start with you mastering the diving and underwater survey techniques needed to conduct coral reef surveys which are accurate and don’t harm the reef. Our experienced instructors will support you all the way while you work toward earning your PADI Advanced Open Water Diver and your PADI Coral Reef Researcher Distinctive Speciality, a speciality exclusively available on GVI marine conservation programs.
Once your training is complete you will work with other participants to help monitor assigned sections of the reef. You will learn about how to identify fish, coral, and other marine life as well as how this data is used by local authorities to make decisions about conservation. You will also assist our local partners with their ongoing coral restoration project by either growing coral fragments in a laboratory or transplanting these coral fragments onto the reef.
You will also participate in a range of other initiatives designed to work toward achieving the objectives of United Nations Sustainable Development Goal #14, Life Below Water. Some of these include ocean floor and beach cleanups and the subsequent recording of the plastic collected for later data analysis, sea turtle monitoring, environmental awareness workshops with local students, community groups, businesses and tourists.
Throughout the internship, you will learn about the importance of engaging local communities to ensure that marine conservation initiatives have long-lasting positive results. Reflecting this reality, you will not only master technical diving and marine research skills on this internship but also have the opportunity to practice your interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Gain experience in a range of marine conservation initiatives, including coral reef surveying and restoration.
- Earn your PADI Advanced Open Water Diver and PADI Coral Reef Researcher Distinctive Speciality Certification.
- Earn your ILM Endorsed Leadership certificate.
- Preserve the unique ecosystem of the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef.
- Contribute to UN SDG #14, Life Below Water.
- Learn to dive in the tropical waters of the Caribbean sea.
- Make new friends when you work with a group of like-minded individuals from around the world.
- Immerse yourself in Mexican culture, learning the language and sampling authentic Mexican cuisine.
To find out more about GVI expeditions and how you can join, please visit the GVI Expedition Page.