Approximately 50% of coral reefs around the world have bleached over the past three decades. This biodiverse species faces a true threat of extinction with the rise of global warming, and GVI’s work in Mexico directly contributes not only to studies in replicating and protecting surviving species, but also looks at longer term preservation and education strategies, in aid of protecting the species on a larger scale.
Working with an international team, you will undergo extensive training, designed to improve your skills and further your knowledge of the marine ecosystem. This program also provides a fine balance between theoretical and practical learning, giving you a “hands on” experience, which will be of great benefit not only from a professional development point of view, but also in terms of your personal development too.
Puerto Morelos is a tiny port town based on the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula. Your adventure with GVI starts here, as you immerse yourself in the charming character and culture of what is traditionally a well known fishing village. The town contains a wide variety of dive sites and breathtaking cenotes, which you may explore as part of your participation on this program. This particular project is made possible by GVI in conjunction with highly revered local partners and organisations in the region. Through these partnerships, our interns are assured of measurable impact while on the ground.
- Improve your employability if you have dreams of starting a career in (or growing your skills in) marine conservation.
- Earn your PADI Advanced Open Water Diver certification.
- Complete GVI & PADI's unique qualification, the PADI Coral Reef Research Speciality.
- Work both in and outside the water, as you contribute to national efforts to protect and assist in reproducing endangered coral reefs.
- Visit a tropical paradise, providing you with an opportunity to experience a new culture and way of life.
- Experience snorkelling, swimming and diving in a comfortable, warm landscape and climate.
- Meet people from all corners of the world, as you expand your network and boost your status as a global citizen.
To find out more about this programme please visit their Expedition page!