Marine Protected Area Project – Divemaster internship
Would you like becoming a confident dive professional as well as acquiring a solid foundation to work in applied Marine Biology projects worldwide?
This internship will give you the necessary background to work in serious conservation projects or/and as a responsible and knowledgeable professional diver.
Before becoming a good research diver or working in marine conservation, you need to be a good diver and have advanced knowledge in marine biology. It is important to understand how everything is connected and being able to identify properly corals and fishes. This internship will make a real difference by providing background and unique experience in Marine Biology. Moreover, with the data you will collect during your internship you will have a real impact as you will contribute to the evaluation of the effectiveness of the Marine Protected Area. The data will be sent to Coral Triangle Centre, the organization in charge of taking care of the Marine Protected Areas in 6 countries including Indonesia.
Along with theory in 5 modules, our dives will take the form of coral surveys, where we will be assessing the multitude of species of coral here in Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Penida, their health, abundance, and age. Advanced Fish identification surveys and counts will follow.
The internship is based in the middle of the Marine Protected Area of Nusa Penida, in Nusa Lembongan a little paradisiac island 30 minutes boat ride from south Bali. The dive sites we go to have some of the highest diversity of marine life in the world: more than 400 species of reef-building coral and large ocean dwellers like turtles, manta rays, and sharks, not to forget about the iconic sunfish or Mola-Mola, which, depending on the season, can be seen in the region on a regular basis.
Bali Diving Academy is a renowned Academy existing since 1991, PADI 5 stars IDC center, collaborating with National Geographic, Marine Megafauna Foundation, Coral Triangle Center and a pioneer in the diving industry in Indonesia. Since our opening, we connect divers with the ocean with a 100% safety record and highest quality standards. Your mentor will be an experienced PADI Instructor and a recognized Marine Biologist with whom you will get in touch to discuss any open points before the internship. To find out more about Bali Diving Academy, please visit their website.
The goal is to have fun together and connect with the ocean while becoming a committed underwater naturalist and ultimately to make a difference by collecting crucial data!
The length is usually 2 months if you are already a certified diver but can be adapted.
Who should apply and how?
If you want to make a career in the marine conservation, marine biology or diving industry and at the same time to make a difference and have a real impact: this program is perfect for you!
Please note that if you are a student at university this internship can be approved and can give you credit towards your Master and/or Bachelor’s degree.
We have only limited places to keep the group sizes small and the quality high; so sometimes flexibility is required on the starting date depending on the period. Simply get in touch with us and we will let you know.
The program starts on January 2020, the application is already open.
The program runs 7 days a week and all interns are entitled to 2 days off per week or 8 days off per month. These days can be accumulated if you require a few days off in a row.
The first weeks are spent between improving and learning your diving skills and start with the training on the marine biology theory. Once we have started with the essentials on Marine Biology, we will focus on getting to know the dive sites. Then we will start with the survey dives as well as manta and coral identification and collection of data.
The skills for your Divemaster program will also regularly be trained and entire days will also be dedicated to it, following the PADI standards.
The average day starts at 8 am and continues until 5 pm. Usually, the interns stay longer as we have the most beautiful spot on the island for sunsets
All in one you will have 4 different roles:
1) Dive Master’s and Dive Guides – learning how to guide certified divers and learn about the different dive sites.
2) Research and survey Team – Take an active role in the research and survey team as a research diver and field scientist collecting abundant data on dives and doing coral and fish identification.
3) Instructors – assisting courses from Discover Scuba Diving to Rescue Diver in the pool, classroom, and open water and learn a lot about the daily functioning of a professionally managed dive center.
4) Study/Workshops – Help the dive team in the office with equipment maintenance and repair, the study on the Marine Biology and Divemaster side, project development, and divemaster workshops. This sometimes also includes workshops with local school children to familiarize them with the ocean and make them aware of what is needed to best protect it.
What will you receive?
Apart from the training and invaluable experience in the ocean as a research diver:
- PADI Dive Master Certification (you will have all you need to proceed immediately with the Instructor course if you would like to go into a career as a diving instructor)
- Certification by Bali Diving Academy confirming your participation in the internship and tailormade recommendation letter assessing what you have done
- All confirmations needed to validate credits with your university
- The data set of the data that you have collected
For 2 months/8 weeks internship (duration can be adapted) including
- Full accommodation for 8 weeks (nice private room no bunk bed) including breakfast
- Marine Biology theory
- Survey and research dive training and data collection
- UNLIMITED dives: diving Penida and Lembongan
- Transportation from the airport and back to the airport or south Bali
- Divemaster trainee with experienced PADI Instructor (5 stars IDC Dive center)
- Full equipment
- PADI Crew Pack (the books and calculator)
- All taxes
- Contribution to the village
Total 8 weeks all included as described above: USD 2,095
For more information or to apply to this Divemaster internship, please write directly to firstname.lastname@example.org