Extended Application Deadline: Fall 2019 Marine Conservation Internship - Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF) in Key Largo, FL
ABOUT THE INTERNSHIP:
Three times a year, REEF accepts four individuals to intern at REEF Headquarters in Key Largo, Florida. Interns learn a variety of skills including non-profit management and operations, public speaking, conservation fieldwork, marine science education and teaching experience, and data management.
During the four-month internship, interns will have opportunities to dive and volunteer with partner organizations in the Florida Keys and South Florida. REEF interns build relationships with leaders in marine science and conservation, and leave the internship well rounded, experienced, and ready to begin careers in the marine conservation or non-profit field.
The deadline for applications for the Fall 2019 internship semester has been extended to Sunday, July 22.
Visit https://www.REEF.org/internship to learn more and apply.
Funding opportunities can be found at https://www.reef.org/reef-marine-conservation-internship-funding-opportunities
DATES: Mid- August to December. Start and end dates are flexible depending on university schedules and other school or work commitments.
- Gain hands-on experience with diverse tasks and responsibilities at a small non-profit organization
- Exposure to numerous non-profit educational and environmental organizations
- Experience in Florida and Caribbean fish identification and surveying
- Assist with events like Upper Keys Lionfish Derby and annual four-day REEF Fest celebration
- Practical field experience in monitoring protocols, procedures, and data management
- Experience with marketing, communications, and graphic design - Opportunities to teach others about the marine environment during presentations and community outreach
- Network with key figures in marine science, SCUBA diving, underwater photography, and conservation
- Opportunities to SCUBA dive and conduct fish surveys
- Earn college credit, if appropriate
- Receive letters of recommendation upon successful completion of the internship
- Earn dive training certifications from local dive shops and instructors, when applicable
- Make long lasting friendships with like-minded individuals
- Live in the beautiful, sunny Florida Keys, where the ocean is your backyard