Position vacancy: Global Technical Advisor -Fisheries Improvement
Location: London or Bristol, UK, with travel to field sites as required.
Closing date for applications: Monday 24 February 2020
Start date: Immediate
Contract duration: Permanent
Remuneration: Competitive salary based on experience
Blue Ventures develops locally -led approaches to marine conservation that seek to benefit people and nature alike. By listening and responding to pressing needs, we design our mode ls to catalyse and sustain marine conservation, unlocking the potential of coastal communities to manage their resources. We work in places where the ocean is vital to local cultures and economies, and are committed to advancing the rights of small-scale fishers throughout the coastal tropics.
Summary Job Description
We are currently recruiting a specialist to provide technical leadership, coaching and mentoring across Blue Ventures’ programmes, to ensure excellence and effectiveness in our support for fisheries improvement. This position will play a key role providing technical guidance to field-based teams in the design and delivery of fisheries improvement strategies, alongside initiatives that support wider fisheries management. We work with people who depend on fishing for their livelihoods, food and cultural identity, and we believe these people are best placed to manage the fisheries on which they depend. Therefore, locally-led sustainable fisheries management is the vital thread running through, and
linking all of the programmes and strategies in our holistic approach to marine
businesses and supporting movements and networks that give fishers a voice, as we believe that these are the key routes to drive change and support local management at broader scales. Our technical advisors ensure that Blue Ventures’ work is at the forefront of best practice in the small-scale fisheries and marine conservation sector, and that we share our experiences and learning with partners worldwide. With a unique vantage point, gained through supporting multiple field programmes in Caribbean, Western Indian Ocean, and Southeast Asia, as well as being part of international communities of practice, our technical advisors play a key role in sharing information, learning and best practice across teams. The Global Technical Advisor for Fisheries Improvement will be responsible for convening a community of practice within Blue Ventures that includes field-based project managers and technicians. This group will establish and maintain Blue Ventures’ best practice principles for fisheries improvement and value addition, informed by our experience and learning on the ground. The Global Technical Advisor will also work closely with our programme delivery and our science teams to ensure that our progress is documented, and shared to a variety of audiences.
The core technical scope of this portfolio will include:
- Initiation and coordination of Fisheries Improvement Projects
- Implementing seafood value chain improvements and engaging with seafood businesses
- Adaptive fisheries management for low-resource, data-limited fisheries
(including community based fisheries monitoring, fisheries science, and fisheries governance)
- Following and informing best practice and policy for small-scale fisheries
management. We are currently exploring a number of approaches to increase earnings for communities in a number of high value small-
scale fisheries. These include efforts to reduce losses, secure fairer prices that reward sustainability, and explore opportunities for seafood eco-
- The Global Technical Advisor will support field teams to
identify opportunities, build capacity in their teams and engage with seafood businesses and other partners.
We’re looking for someone with strong understanding and experience of
value chains in the small-scale fisheries sector, willing to learn and challenge their assumptions when required. The successful candidate will have a deep and sensitive appreciation of the complex challenges facing coastal tropical fisheries; including widespread coastal poverty, an overwhelming reliance on fishing for food and income, limited data, and weak national governance.
We are looking for a creative and discerning individual, with first rate partnership development, leadership and communications skills, and a strong technical background in small-scale fisheries management. The successful candidate will thrive in environments that are dynamic, fast-paced, collegiate and ambitious, and have a proven track record in delivering high-quality written
work, and in communicating effectively and professionally with diverse audiences, ranging from fishing communities to conservationists and technical specialists.
The role entails working as part of an interdisciplinary and international team, with excellent opportunities for professional development. The successful candidate will report to Blue Ventures’ Head of Technical Support, and will be based in one of our UK offices in London or Bristol, with regular overseas travel to work with partners and field teams.
- Provide technical support, guidance, training and mentoring to programme delivery teams
- Supporting and coaching implementing managers to identify opportunities for developing or adapting projects within the fisheries improvement management and value chain domains according to good practice or innovative opportunities globally
- Supporting implementing managers working directly with communities, and those supporting partners with the design and adaptive management of programmes of work
- Building connections between programme delivery teams in different geographies, with a particular focus on ensuring information, lessons learned and good practice are exchanged freely
- Supporting country leads to assess and fill technical capacity gaps in their teams
- Providing technical guidance, training and mentoring to field-based technicians and managers
- Facilitating a participatory process for quality assurance in our programmes
- Facilitating the ongoing development of Blue Ventures’ good practice principles for fisheries improvement (through internal and external consultative processes)
- Tracking key developments and learning throughout project implementation
- Ensure technical rigour on knowledge products, reports and other external documents relating to small-scale fisheries
- Contributing to building a culture of high standards
- Providing regular support and guidance to enable adaptive course correction of strategies where needed
- Cultivating learning and sharing
- Leading an internal community of practice for fisheries improvement at Blue Ventures (facilitating connections and exchange, mutual support)
- Championing the documentation and sharing of fisheries learning internally and externally, working closely with field teams, the Knowledge Development Manager, MEL team and communication team Representing Blue Ventures in technical and strategic events and conferences and promoting supportive policy
- Championing Blue Ventures’ mission at relevant events and identifying opportunities for field-based colleagues to do so as well
- Cultivating a dynamic and supportive network within the small-scale fisheries sector
- Identifying priorities for policy development in respective sector, and working with wider policy and communication colleagues to develop opportunities
- Contributing to Blue Ventures’ organisational development by representing fisheries work & progress with partners and donors
Skills and experience required
- A graduate level qualification in fisheries science, marine ecology/biology, or conservation or a relevant business related field
- Substantive experience working in a field relating to fisheries management
- Good knowledge of Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) certification standard and Fisheries Improvement Projects (FIPs)
- Experience of developing partnerships with businesses, government agencies, and non-governmental organisations
- Excellent research, analytical and technical writing skills
- Experience of small scale fisheries monitoring, ideally community-based
- Highly organised with an eye for detail
- Ability to take initiative and solve problems quickly
- Ability to work well as part of a multicultural team, demonstrating empathy and adaptability
- Experience providing coaching or mentoring in technical areas
- Fluency in English
- Good communication and diplomacy skills
- Willingness to travel and spend time in remote and challenging environments for work
- Experience of traceability in small-scale fisheries / working with fisheries supply chain actors to drive sustainable practice / developing storied seafood and gaining better prices for fishers
- High level of spoken French
- Experience working in Blue Ventures’ target regions, including knowledge of marine environmental issues and cultural context
Why Work With us:
Mission: We operate at the frontline of some of the world's most pressing
environmental and social problems, innovating effective and scalable responses with tropical coastal communities. We are recognised as a transformative force in our sector.
Working style: We're a fast-moving social enterprise, quick to embrace and implement promising ideas without bureaucracy.
Autonomy: We expect and support our staff to take a lead in their own work, offering scope for creativity and strategic input.
Professional development: We challenge and support our staff to grow their skills, providing considerable exposure to different work experiences and training opportunities.
Adventure:We offer extensive opportunities for travel, working in diverse
environmental and cultural contexts.
Family: We look out for one another as we work closely together in challenging
situations, celebrating successes and spurring each other on when the going gets tough.
Values: Our organisational values are central to everything we do:
Communities first Above all - we listen to community needs, responding in a sensitive and pragmatic way for long lasting benefits.
Passion & belief - Our mission is urgent and critical, we believe that our models work, and we are determined to get the job done.
Valued people & effective teams - We work in diverse and inclusive teams where all members have a voice and influence. We are effective because our work is
integrated across teams and projects.
Innovation & courage - We are resourceful and creative. We are prepared to take risks and challenge broken paradigms.
Openness & humility - We are an open source social enterprise. We work in
a transparent and collaborative way to pass on what we learn to others who
share our vision and passion.
Grounded in evidence - We have high standards and are not afraid to be
self critical. If we see something that doesn’t work, we change tack until
we’re on the right course.
Blue Ventures is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young and vulnerable people and expects all members of staff to share this commitment. All candidates will be asked questions on safeguarding and child protection.
Applicants should apply online, using the forms found here, by Monday
24 February 2020.
Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and first-
round interviews may be conducted with short-listed candidates before the application deadline.
All shortlisted candidates will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date.