POSITION TITLE: Brighton Dolphin Project – Education & Outreach Assistant
REPORTS TO: Education & Outreach Coordinator
DURATION: Three months – from Monday June 3rd to September 15th
HOURS: 40 hours a week (including evening and regular weekend work as required)
LOCATION: Brighton, UK
The Brighton Dolphin Project is an initiative from the World Cetacean Alliance that aims to improve awareness about the local marine ecosystems and species across Sussex. Brighton has a rich cultural heritage with Dolphins, and we want to celebrate everything about them along the Sussex coastline, whilst connecting a city with its dolphins in the newly created biosphere reserve. This is achieved through:
* Conducting Research: studying local dolphin/wildlife populations through a Public Sightings Database, as well as studying our own impact on the marine environment.
* Inspiring the Next Generation: carrying out fun, interactive activities at our Dolphin Discovery Centre, as well as organising school workshops about the ocean.
* Connecting People with Nature: hosting a series of wildlife trips so everyone can learn about and hopefully see some of our amazing marine wildlife here in Brighton.
* Collaborating for Conservation: working with not-for-profit organisations to discover more about marine life by creating projects that raise awareness about our seas.
About the Role
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual to assist with the delivery of our schools’ programme, as well as working in our Discovery Centre to inspire the local community to care about marine conservation. There will also be the opportunity to represent the project at outreach events throughout the summer period in Sussex.
The successful candidate reports directly to our Education Officer, as well as the Project Coordinator. You will receive in-situ training from us and work closely with colleagues at WCA Headquarters’ in Brighton. The WCA is unable to cover personal expenses.
- Assist Education Officer with day-to-day management of the Dolphin Discovery Centre, including running activities and coordinating volunteers.
- Work with Education Officer to create education workshops about marine animals and their habitats, including Sharks and Turtles.
- Support the delivery of BDP’s schools programme, including classroom visits and attending Scouts sessions
- Monitor and keep records during and after session delivery i.e. pupil numbers, feedback and photographic consent so support evaluation.
- Attend outreach events in Sussex to represent the Brighton Dolphin Project.
- Act as a Wildlife Guide on board our summer boat trips, educating people about marine life in Brighton and marine conservation.
- Commitment to raising awareness of marine conservation.
- Passion to inspire and educate people of all ages.
- Experience delivering educational activities to children and young people.
- Ability to thrive in a multi-tasking, high energy environment.
- Ability to be a self-starter and keep track of personal project work.
- Strong communication and teamwork skills, with the ability to inspire and motivate others.
- Computer proficient including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Degree in relevant science or environment subject
- Knowledge of cetaceans and their conservation
- Prior experience of creating educational resources
- Full drivers’ licence and access to a car
Throughout your time with us, we can offer you the following:
- Training to develop and deliver environmental education activities.
- Training from BDP/WCA as part of our Responsible Whale Watching Guide course.
- Experience educating a variety of different ages, in a number of different environments.
- Develop knowledge of working for a small NGO with an active citizen science project.
- Opportunity to learn about and network with WCAs 100 Partners in 40 countries.
- Build on your network of contacts for career development / research or voluntary opportunities.
If you would like to apply for this position, please email a current C.V. and covering letter outlining your interest to Simon McPherson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: Sunday 14th April.
Short listed candidates will be invited to a Skype interview week commencing Monday 29th April.
We look forward to receiving your application!