Bazaruto Centre for Scientific Studies (BCSS) is an innovative platform, hosting the first permanent ocean observatory focused on multi-ecosystem time series research in Africa.
Through research with BCSS, you will be able to dive in one of the world’s most diverse coral reef ecosystems, supporting over 2000 species of fish, and witness wildlife behaviour such as open ocean shark feeding frenzies, turtle breeding as well as the migration of humpback whales and hammerhead sharks.
The BCSS Ocean Observatory offers volunteers a once-in-a-lifetime experience to explore and observe this incredible setting with world-leading scientists and environmentalists.
Contribute to marine research while assisting the Dive Manager in dive centre management during this 12-week internship. Gain a professional PADI Divemaster qualification and step into the world of paid work within the diving industry. Assist the Dive Manager of BCSS with everyday tasks while improving your diving skills and gaining in-depth knowledge of safety measures and dive theory. Whether you are a new diver or already possess certifications, you’ll step off Benguerra Island feeling confident to guide groups and conduct research underwater. The internship period will give you plenty of time to learn more about your interests and to develop your career path in terms of marine research, remote conservation and socio-economic development work. During the internship you will:
- Get PADI certified: Open Water, Advanced, EFT and Rescue certifications.
- Become a professional PADI Divemaster through an intense, 3-month long training period.
- Assist our Dive Manager with the daily operations of the dive centre, diving schedules and dive training
- Assist the science team with marine research projects and expeditions
- Receive an education on subjects like ocean acidification, species identification and reef and seagrass surveying by experienced marine scientists
- Learn how to map a dive site, read the ocean’s surface for currents and determine best practices during dives based on the weather
- Dive daily in a marine protected area that is abundant with marine megafauna like manta rays, whales and sharks, colourful reefs and over 2000 fish species.
Cost of the internship
- 12 weeks - $5995
The Bazaruto Archipelago
The Bazaruto Archipelago consists of five idyllic islands: Bazaruto, Benguerra, Magaruque, Santa Carolina and Bangue and is home to a population of approximately 3,000 people living in traditional fishing villages. The islands consist of wide and lengthy white sand beaches, lakes, wetlands, mangrove forests and large, 300-foot-high sand dunes which dominate the landscape.
An Ocean Observatory is a marine network and a platform that allows us to follow the pulse of the ocean through a combination of environmental sensors, measurements, and surveys to understand changes in the environment using time-series techniques. You will be joining a unique initiative in the Indian Ocean and one of the first permanent multi-ecosystem observatories in Africa.
During your stay at BCSS you will assist at the Ocean Observatory and learn first-hand from our resident scientists about pressing environmental issues and what can be done about them. Learn more about the programs we offer, and how to gain valuable core skills that can enhance your life experience, and potential career prospects.
All internships have access to all program material as per volunteer participants. Every participant will receive an end of program activity report and an official reference from Lead Scientist/Operations Manager/Dive Manager.
How to Apply
To apply for this internship please email email@example.com and express your interest stating the program you would like to apply for and we will then send you an application form.