The Organization & Project
Perhentian Marine Research Station is one of Fuze Ecoteer’s project on Perhentian Island, Malaysia. The aim of the Perhentian Marine Research Station is to monitor the marine ecosystems and assess population dynamics and movements of specific fauna living in the Perhentian Islands Marine Park. The results of the studies will be given to decision-makers to help them effectively manage the Marine Park. Specific areas PMRS looks into are seagrass, coral rehabilitation, sharks and turtles. The project is funded by voluntourism and school and corporate groups.
As a Dive & Volunteer Coordinator, you will be managing volunteers where the focus will be direct conservation action including ‘diving against debris’, shark identification and maintaining a coral nursery.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Daily coordination of volunteers, organising and facilitating their activities; dive courses, research dives or diving for debris, beach/reef cleans, Malay dinners etc.
- Provide a programme introduction, training and village tour for volunteers outlining key aspects of our research, activities around the island, objectives and expectations
- Complete relevant training, safety briefings and ensure all applicable forms are signed and recorded
- Identify and implement ideas for additional research, sharing data and promoting sustainable practices.
- Conduct weekly or bi-weekly public awareness talks/activities around the island.
- Complete projects and reports as required by the project manager such as producing informative displays and research impact reports to share with tourists
- Guide volunteers through a water confidence training session where you will teach them about responsible snorkelling
- Ensure all safety precautions are taken whilst in the water and make sure all volunteers are accounted for during water-based activities. E.g. buddy checks, suitable dive times and depths
- Collect and record feedback from volunteers and regularly review the programme to maximise volunteer experience and produce reports when requested by the Project Manager
- Ensure the project house is kept clean & tidy with the help of our volunteers through daily chores on a rota basis. Including providing fresh bed linen for all new volunteers
- Report to your supervisor, maintaining open communication at all times
- Assist the Project Manager in completing risk assessments, operating procedures and programme content as required
- Follow agreed timetables to deliver work in a timely fashion
- Display a professional example to local community members, volunteers and colleagues
- Adherence to all safety measures, protocols, procedures and budgets as directed by Fuze Ecoteer
- Any other duties that may be required as delegated by your supervisor including; cover for colleague’s leave and illness, providing adequate notice of travel arrangements (work-related or personal)
- Minimum certification of PADI Rescue Diver or higher with over 100 dives logged.
- Experience in conservation and/or scientific diving.
- Experience leading dives of up to 6 people.
- High level of water safety awareness and excellent swimming ability.
- Highly organised and ability to work to a schedule.
- Team player but also comfortable working independently.
- Efficient time management skills and able to meet deadlines.
- Good attention to detail.
- Excellent communicator and confident public speaker.
- Experience managing or coordinating group activities.
- Flexible and adaptable to various environment and culture.
- IT competency.
- A wealth of scientific diving and marine conservation experience
- Free accommodation – you will live in the project house, sharing a room with at most 3 other people and have access to communal food shared with team members and volunteers.
- Free food – You’ll get access to communal staff food at the PMRS House where you’ll be expected to muck in and help cook. Plus treat yourself to some delicious local cuisine from around the village or when attending Malay dinners with our volunteers.
- For international interns, visa cost will be borne by the intern. FE can help with the visa application process for a fee.
- Free Wifi at our project site.
- 1 day off per week, plus a block of 7 days off every 90 days during project season (March to Oct). Hop on a water taxi and snorkel amongst some impressive marine life, or head further afield. You might as well see some of the fantastic sights Malaysia has while you’re here.
- Allowance of RM250 per month from the 7 months onwards if you are able to commit to a longer-term internship.
- All work-related expenses (Unfortunately this excludes travel to or from Perhentian Island or Malaysia)
How To Apply
Applicants will need to state their position applied for in the email subject, and submit their CV andCover Letter as an email attachment to email@example.com
For more information, or if you have any further enquiries about the role please email firstname.lastname@example.org