Coral Reef Research Internship
July 10 – August 7, 2021
The Roatan Institute for Marine Sciences is excited to offer a 4-week Coral Reef Reserch Internship this summer. The program is open to upper level undergraduates or recent graduates and will be limited to 12 students. Interns will live and work at our facility and gain valuable research and field experience on some of the most well-developed and ecologically diverse reefs in the Caribbean.
Under the direction of professional mentors and marine biologists, interns will engage in a wide variety of activities and gain experience in the:
- Identification of Caribbean coral, fish, invertebrates and algae species.
- Application of field research methods to assess coral cover, abundance, and reef health.
- Development and implementation of an independent research project
- Coral nursery and reef restoration projects on the island.
- Population management of the invasive lionfish.
- Participation in field trips on and around Roatan.
- Interaction with local conservation professionals.
The deadline for applications is 1st June 2021. Interns will be notified of acceptance within a week of receiving the completed application.
Eligibility & Terms
Please visit our website for all eligibility requirements and terms of the program. Students who have completed at least 2 years of undergraduate study and will be 18 years old at the start of program are eligible to apply.
Applicants must be SCUBA certified. We do not offer course credit for the program but we encourage successful applicants to arrange for research or independent studies credit through their home institution.
The program fee is USD$2975.00. This fee includes full room & board, diving, tanks and weights, lab and classroom fees, airport transfers, off site field excursions and all applicable taxes. A more detailed list of what is covered can be found on our website.