Coral Reef Research Internship
Dates: 20th July - 17th August 2019
The Roatan Institute for Marine Science is excited to offer a 4-week Coral Reef Research Internship this summer. The program is open to upper level undergraduates or recent graduates and will be limited to 12 interns. Interns will live at our facility and gain valuable research and field experience on some of the most well-developed and ecologically diverse reefs in the Caribbean.
Under the direction of professional mentors and marine biologists, students will engage in a wide variety of activities and gain experience in the:
- Identification of Caribbean coral, fish, invertebrates and algae species.
- Application of field research methods to assess coral cover, abundance, and reef health.
- Development and implementation of an independent research project.
- Coral nursery and reef restoration projects on the island.
- Population management of the invasive lionfish.
- Participation in fields trips on and around Roatan.
- Interaction with local conservation professionals.
How to Apply
The application form is available on our website. Completed applications and supporting documents should be e-mailed in.pdf format to email@example.com. The deadline for application is March 31 2019. Applicants will be notified of acceptance by April 6th 2019.
Eligibility & Terms
Please visit our website for all eligibility requirements and terms of the program. Students who have completed at least 2 years of undergraduate study and will be 18 years old at the start of program are eligible to apply. Applicants must be SCUBA certified. We do not offer course credit for the program but we encourage successful applicants to arrange for research or independent studies credit through their home institution.
The program fee is USD$2975.00. This fee includes full room & board, diving tanks and weights, lab and classroom fees, airport transfers, off site field excursions and all applicable taxes. A more detailed list of what is covered can be found on our website.
For more information about the program, please contact the Program Coordinator, Jennifer Keck at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the website at www.roatanims.org.