The Central Caribbean Marine Institute maintains a busy calendar of K- 12, university, and citizen science education programmes in the Cayman Islands, supported by a team of marine educators and interns. Interns gain exceptional field, lab, and classroom teaching experience. The program may qualify for the college requirement of a year in industry or conservation and science education experience at the master’s degree level.
Your internship will entail working with a vibrant and dynamic group of educators and scientists. You will gain experience in the following:
- Setting up K-12 programme activities
- organizing logistics & schedules
- delivering lessons
- leading field excursions around the island
- conducting evaluations and assessments
- Assisting in supervision of snorkels and scuba dives
- Delivering lessons and providing support for college & citizen science programs
- Mentoring high school and college students
- Facilitating programme enrolment by assisting with registrations, waivers and certifications
- Maintaining and updating classroom and equipment
- Participating in ongoing research and coral restoration
- Conducting tours of the station
- Contributing to the successful operation of a busy, remote field research and education station
Intern Experience Requirements
CCMI is seeking candidates with the following qualifications:
- Teaching experience, field and laboratory experiences
- Versatility. CCMI interns should be capable of working with minimal supervision and under strenuous conditions and be versatile and willing to assist with a variety of task that are continuously changing
- Bachelor’s degree in related field (unless the internship qualifies for a year in industry work experience requirement at your college)
- Experience in teaching coral reef ecology and/or reef survey techniques, and photo and video skills a plus
- Scuba diving skills, preferably rescue diver level with 100+ dives
- Excellent communications skills, well organized, enthusiastic and capable of prioritizing
If you would like to experience life on a remote island as part of a dynamic team, and if you are comfortable being an all-around support team member, we encourage you to apply. You must have DAN insurance and health insurance. Depending upon individual performance and programme support, there may be further career opportunities for you as part of the team following your internship.
The successful Marine Education Intern from this opportunity will receive $500USD monthly pay, in addition to full accommodation, all meals, and all airport transfers/use of company vehicles for work-related endeavors.
Follow the instructions HERE to apply.