Biorock Coral Conservation DM Internship - Pemuteran
In collaboration with the Biorock Project in Pemuteran, this internship will give you the necessary background to work in a serious conservation project or/and as a responsible and knowledgeable professional diver.
Check the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjmav_rMtsU
The Divemaster program will be complemented by a series of coral conservation and surveying modules that will include both theory and practical parts.
Biorock Project Part 1 Theory + Practice (dives)
Fish ID Workshop
Reef Check Eco Diver Course (with certification)
Biorock Project Part 2
Other activities: Trash Heroes beach clean-ups, organize/participate in underwater clean-ups and do predator hunts in Pemuteran and Menjangan Island
The Internship is based in Pemuteran, located in a non-touristic small village on Bali’s north coast, next to the Taman National Bali Barat. The scenery around this peaceful place is breathtaking. If you are looking for amazing dives, adventures in nature and being able to relax at one of the nicest beaches in Bali, Pemuteran is off the beaten path and a definite must.
The Pemuteran area is not only famous for the nearby Menjangan Island, but also for its non-crowded home reefs in Pemuteran Bay. These include dive sites such as the underwater temple garden and the BioRock project directly in front of Bali Diving Academy’s Dive Center.
The Biorock is a reef restoration project that was started in 2000, which Bali Diving Academy has been actively supporting ever since. The reef is located right in front of Bali Diving Academy and perfect for both experienced and student divers. Non-diving family and friends will also enjoy the snorkeling here and be fascinated by the artificial structures mixed with natural reef!
Bali Diving Academy is a renowned PADI 5 star IDC center with a 100% safety record and the highest quality standards. We were founded in 1991, and since then have regularly worked together with National Geographic, the Marine Megafauna Foundation and the Coral Triangle Center. Since our opening, our main passion have been to connect divers with the ocean.
When you do your Divemaster program with us, your mentor will be an experienced PADI Instructor and a recognized Coral Conservationist with whom you can discuss any concerns and questions before starting your internship.
The goal is to have fun together and connect with the ocean while becoming a committed underwater ambassador and naturalist and ultimately to make a difference by collecting crucial data!
The length of the program is usually 8 weeks if you are already a certified diver but can be adapted. Please note there is no need to be an advanced diver or scientist to participate in the project and to apply.
Who should apply and how?
If you want to make a career in the marine conservation or diving industry and at the same time to make a difference and have a real impact: this program is perfect for you! Please note there is no need to be an advanced scuba diver in order to apply.
Please note that if you are a student at university this internship can be approved and can give you credit towards your Master and/or Bachelor’s degree.
We have only limited availability as we keep our group sizes small and the quality high; so sometimes flexibility is required on the starting date depending on the period. Simply get in touch with us and we will let you know which starting dates would be possible.
The earliest starting date would be January 2020 and the latest the beginning of June 2020 to be completed by mid to end July. We will restart again in September 2020.
The program runs 7 days a week and all interns are entitled to 2 days off per week or 8 days off per month. These days can be accumulated if you require a few days off in a row.
The first weeks will be spent learning or improving upon your diving skills and you will also start with basic Biorock and Conservation theory. Once you have mastered the basics and are familiar with the dive sites, we will continue with the different program modules.
At the same time, you will also start your PADI Divemaster program and you will alternate between the 2 programs depending on the schedule of the dive center and which training programs are available on each day.
The average day starts at 8 am and continues until 5 pm or longer depending on the day.
You will assist and be involved in the dive center in many different capacities:
1) As Divemaster and Dive guide – learn how to guide certified divers and get familiar with the different dive sites.
2) As Research and Survey Diver – Take an active role in the research and survey team as a research diver and field scientist collecting abundant data on dives and doing coral and fish identification.
3) As Assistant to our Instructors – assist courses from Discover Scuba Diving to Rescue Diver in the pool, classroom, and open water and learn about the daily operation of a professionally managed dive center.
4) As a Student – Help the dive team with equipment maintenance and repair, learn how to operate a compressor and fill tanks, assist with customer relations and project development.
What will you receive?
Apart from the training and invaluable experience in the ocean as a research diver:
1) PADI Dive Master Certification (you will have all you need to proceed immediately with the Instructor course if you would like to go into a career as a diving instructor)
2) Reef Check Eco Diver certification
3) Certification by Bali Diving Academy confirming your participation in the internship and tailormade recommendation letter assessing what you have done
4) All confirmations needed to validate credits with your university
5) The data set of the data that you have collected
For 2 months/8 weeks internship (duration can be adapted) including
- full accommodation for 8 weeks fan room (AC room with extra charge) including breakfast
- lunches on activity days
- Reef Check course, BioRock programs and more.
- Survey and research dive training and data collection
- UNLIMITED dives: diving Pemuteran shore, offshore and Menjangan (based on availability)
- Transportation from the airport and back to the airport or south Bali
- Divemaster trainee with experienced PADI Instructor (5 stars IDC Dive center)
- Full equipment
- PADI Crew Pack (the books and calculator)
- All taxes
- Contribution to the village
Total 8 weeks all included as described above: USD 2’095
For more information or to apply to this Divemaster internship, please write directly to email@example.com
Check out our Sister Divemaster Internship in Marine Biology in Lembongan: https://scubali.com/diving-course/marine-protected-area-project-internship-lembongan.html