About Seal Rescue Ireland:
Seal Rescue Ireland (SRI) is a registered charity that works around the clock to rescue, rehabilitate and release seals found sick, injured or orphaned from across the coast of Ireland. Most reports are for young Grey Seals (Halichoerus grypus) and Common Seals (Phoca vitulina). As the only seal rescue centre within the Republic of Ireland, SRI respond to reports nationwide and aims to rehabilitate the pups back to full health so they can be returned to the wild. SRI is committed to promoting ocean conservation and sustainability through active education, community engagement and research programmes, in order to proactively protect the marine environment and all life within.
About the Animal Care Manager Position:
The Animal Care Manager (ACM) is responsible for overseeing daily operations of SRI’s wildlife rehabilitation hospital and ensuring the facility is providing the best in animal welfare. This includes coordinating rescues, keeping records, determining treatment plans, training staff and volunteers on animal husbandry, ordering supplies, managing inventory, hospital maintenance, and facilitating collaboration with veterinarians, researcher institutions and other rehabilitation centres worldwide. This is a high paced position split between overseeing animal care, management tasks and administration in the office. The candidate will be required to work closely with the Executive Director and Operational Team in all aspects involved in running a wildlife hospital including but not limited to animal care, budgeting, and assisting in rescues and releases. The Animal Care Manager is responsible for overseeing and delegating responsibilities to a team of Assistant Animal Care Managers as well as long term and short term volunteers.
Animal Care Manager Responsibilities Include:
- Conduct physical examinations, health assessments and sample collection from patients to enable their progression through the rehabilitation process and support ongoing research projects
- Oversee and advise Rescue Network as to whether response is appropriate, and when so, guide appropriate response and initiation of care including husbandry and treatment
- Support Assistant Animal Care Managers and staff after-hours with telephone advice and respond to on-site emergencies as needed to ensure prompt response
- Develop, implement and execute diagnostic and therapeutic plans for all patients in conjunction with local veterinary to ensure continuity and high standard of care
- Complete and maintain patient medical records including specific reports required for protected species in accordance with government licensing regulations, and update all pertinent information in electronic database
- Assist in the clinical training and mentorship of hospital staff, interns and volunteers
- Provide on site support for marine mammal research projects with partner institutions and collaborators to ensure timely progression of collaborative project
- Oversee daily hospital operations at centre to ensure animal welfare and health and safety of all hospital volunteers, staff and visitors
- Oversees management of Seal Records Database and all hospital records
- Develop and maintain administration of professional documents includingprotocols, prescriptions, handbooks and licensing.
- Develop and research improved animal care and welfare, hygiene protocols and life support systems.
- Develop, deploy and oversee enrichment programme
- Oversee hospital inventory, stock checks and ordering supplies
- Oversee and train interns, volunteers and staff in animal care protocols and practices
- Oversees maintenance and upkeep of the hospital and hospital equipment
- Assists with educational talks, tours, fundraisers, educational events, clerical duties and office work as needed
- Represents Seal Rescue Ireland at networking events, conferences, trainings, seal releases, and outreach events.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s preferred) in Biology, Ecology, Vet Science, Mammalogy, Animal Behaviour, Animal Care, Wildlife Science, Marine Science, or related field.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in clinical marine mammal care, including familiarity with current wild stranded marine mammal health and disease issues
- Minimum of 2 years experience managing a team.
- Must have permission to work within the EU.
- Ability to communicate well with a team responsible for animal care including strong interpersonal communication skills and ability to lead and motivate others (volunteers, visitors and staff)
- Ability to supervise and help train interns, staff and volunteers to advance their knowledge in marine mammal medicine
- Ability to use computer database and Microsoft Outlook and other programmes to carry out electronic medical records and research
- Ability to maintain a professional manner while interacting with public, colleagues and volunteers, both in person and through electronic communication.
- Must have a positive attitude and work well in a team environment
- Must have flexibility to work long, irregular hours, including late nights, early mornings, holidays and weekends.
- Strong writing and public speaking skills are desired.
Location: Seal Rescue Ireland, Courtown, Co Wexford, Ireland
Hours: Full-time (40 hours per week)
Remuneration: €21,528 Annual Salary
Additional Benefits: Food, utilities and accommodation in staff housing are available for €90 per week. Free room and board may be available based on a performance review after the first three months.
Reports to: Executive Director and Operations Team
To apply, please send: CV, Cover Letter, completed application form, and TWO Letters of Recommendation to: email@example.com