Blue Ventures develops locally led approaches to marine management that benefit people and nature alike. By listening and responding to basic needs, we design our models to catalyse and sustain marine conservation, unlocking the potential of coastal communities to manage their resources. We work in places where the ocean is vital to local cultures and economies, and are committed to advancing the rights of small-scale fishers throughout the coastal tropics.
Since 2003, Blue Ventures has been working with fishing communities across the tropics to establish Locally-Managed Marine Areas (LMMAs), conduct participatory monitoring of marine resources, secure use rights for local communities, and promote sustainable use of marine ecosystems. Robust research and evidence underpins all of Blue Ventures programmes, to inform adaptive management, as well as for advising and supporting governmental and institutional partners, and communicating the results of our work to the broader conservation and development communities.
Blue Ventures often has short term contracts in order to synthesize scientific information into required outputs, in particular the results of fisheries, ecological and socioeconomic assessments.
Summary job description
We are seeking fisheries specialists whose interests and expertise match our mission, and who are available for short-term contracts. We are particularly keen to identify candidates with a proven track record of producing high-quality publications and technical reports relating to tropical marine conservation and fisheries management (particularly multi-species tropical small-scale fisheries), in collaboration with in-country professionals.
We are seeking highly motivated individuals with a strong background in scientific writing and publishing who are dedicated to supporting the sustainable use of marine resources through science-based management.
Skills and experience
- Postgraduate degree (or equivalent) in relevant field and/or proven experience in fisheries science or marine conservation
- Experience in scientific report writing and preparation of research papers for publication; strong publishing track record
- Excellent skills in communication of complex information to a diverse range of stakeholders
- Proficiency with data management, statistical analysis and statistical software packages, as well as using large databases at global/national levels
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- High level of personal organisation and ability to work to tight deadlines
- Strong ability to work with others, seeking input and coordinating contributions
- Previous experience of working with international organisations/ NGOs
Blue Ventures is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young and vulnerable people and expects all members of staff to share this commitment. We take a zero-tolerance approach to anyone who contravenes our policy. All candidates will be asked questions on safeguarding and child protection.
We want people of all backgrounds to see themselves represented and included in our work, so we actively seek to diversify our team and bring more voices to the table. All applicants are welcome!
Applicants should apply online via Blue Ventures website (https://blueventures.org/about/careers/), by Friday 2nd October 2020.
All shortlisted candidates will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date.