GVI - Marine Conservation Field Assistant – Mexico
Who is GVI?
GVI is one of the world’s leading, high-quality sustainable development and experiential education organisations. We are a social enterprise, and our mission is to build a global network of people who together can make a long-term positive impact on the world around us.
We run volunteer and internship programs in 13 countries globally, employ 150+ staff and are committed to employing, training and retaining the very best people in their chosen fields. Working at GVI means you have the unique opportunity to grow within a global company, gaining experience across a number of different locations, focuses, and cultures.
About the Role:
As a GVI field assistant in Puerto Morelos, Mexico, you will work on the marine conservation project. You will have the opportunity to upgrade your dive skills, learn about the coral reef conservation program with hands on training, as well as get exposure specifically to the Mesoamerican coral reef ecosystem and the challenges it faces. You'll also get the chance to improve your leadership skills.
This is a 3-month position, where you'll assist with dive training, science training, as well as volunteer and base management, all in exchange for your food and accommodation. There will be several weekends off to explore Quintana roo, and stunning daily dives in the reefs of Puerto Morelos National Park. You'll also get involved with community outreach while on base so this really will be an incredibly fulfilling period of time in this beautiful, cultural community in Mexico!
· Science training: leading species identification dives; running study sessions with new volunteers
· Assisting in EFR, OW, AOW, Rescue and DM courses as required
· Training volunteers in daily and weekly base duties
· Planning daily schedules with staff team
· General volunteer and intern management, providing guidance and acting as a role model for others
· Minimum current PADI Dive Master (or higher / equivalent)
· Commitment, drive and enthusiasm to develop yourself and motivate others
· Hardworking, with the ability to show and use initiative and be proactive
· Flexible, open-minded and adaptable
· Easy-going and excited about being a part of a global family on a mission to make a difference
The following experience is required for this position:
· Conversational level of Spanish (in order to interact with local partners for some activities)
· Experience in Marine Conservation (in order to deliver presentations and training in turtle monitoring, fish ID, Coral ID, Hazards of the reef, Coral Bleach, etc)
The following experience would be beneficial for this position:
· Experience in the Mexican Caribbean
· Understanding of Latin-American culture
· Emergency First Response Certified/Trained
· Experience managing groups
· Driving Licence
If the above sounds like it matches your skills and ambitions to move forward with a career in sustainable development, we would love to hear from you! Please go to Careers Abroad: http://www.careersabroad.co.uk/current-vacancies/ and click on the vacancy that suits your skill set best. Or, email email@example.com to get in touch with us directly.