- PARENTS: Support and enrich school topics with our afterschool public sessions
- HOMESCHOOLERS: Enhance your homeschooling with private lessons
Wherever you are in the world, you can connect your eager learners with one of our fantastic marine biologists in fun, educational and interactive lessons.
- Sharks (part 1)
Learn how important sharks are to our oceans and how wrong the negative stereotypes surrounding them are. Discover their incredible anatomy and their supersense. As well as learning about iconic sharks like the great white and whale shark, we will explore some of the weird and wonderful sharks like the goblin and cookie-cutter shark.
- Sharks (part 2)
Let’s dive in deeper and explore sharks in more depth. Learn more about their anatomy – how do they breathe? What do their fins do? Explore more incredible species like the hammerhead, thresher & frill sharks as well as sharks that live on the bottom like the epaulette, shy, angel and leopard sharks.
- Sharks (part 3)
Part three looks at how sharks use their senses such as sight and smell. Can they really smell a drop of blood from a mile away? We will look at how they’ve evolved (prehistoric sharks!) and some of the sharks found in the temperate waters around the UK. You might be surprised that some really iconic sharks can be found here.
- Marine Mammals
Let’s learn about marine mammals! Explore seals, manatees, sea otters, polar bears (whales & dolphins are marine mammals too but we look at them in more detail in our dedicated session). How have these mammals made the sea their home? What amazing adaptations do they have and what role do they play in helping ecosystems?
- Masters of Camouflage
Discover how ocean creatures have mastered the art of camouflage. Whether it’s to help them hide from predators or to make an unsuspecting pounce on their prey – there’s no doubt that ocean creatures are some of the best at camouflage!
- Whales & Dolphins
Discover the wonderful world of some of the oceans’ most charismatic creatures. What do these marine mammals have in common? How are baleen whales and toothed whales different? Explore different whale and dolphin species like bottlenose & spinner dolphins, orcas, blue whale, sperm whale, narwhal and more.
- Marine Monsters: A spooktacular and fangtastic look a the ghoulish and grizzly side of the ocean. They’ll be bats, zombies, ghosts, devils, goblins, vampires and gruesome behaviour from some of the weirdest fish in our oceans.
- Coastal Marine Life: In this session, we explore the incredible marine life found on beaches and rocky shores here in the UK. From crabs to anemones, worms to limpets and sea stars to blennies we will find out what hangs out in rock pools and other coastal areas. We will learn how to ‘rockpool’ with care so that you get to see as much as you can while keeping the rockpool inhabitants safe and sound.
- ***NEW TOPIC*** The AMAZING world of Octopuses, squid and cuttlefish. These incredible creatures are cephalopods – which means ‘head-foot’ – and when you think about it that’s what an octopus or squid looks like – a head, connected to many feet. Except they are not feet they are arms or tentacles! So what’s the difference between an arm and a tentacle? Discover the answer to this and so much more as we learn about these intelligent, crafty and all-round amazing creatures!
- Sea Turtles
Explore the amazing world of sea turtles. In this session, we’ll look at some of the different species of sea turtles, their anatomy and their fascinating lifecycle (LOTS of cute hatchling videos!). We will also look at the threats they face and how we can help them.
- Ocean Giants
Explore the world of ocean giants. It’s not just about whales (although we look at them of course!). We answer questions such as…. Why did these animals get so big? Is the blue whale REALLY bigger than any dinosaur? How big is the eye of a giant squid – and who is bigger, the colossal or giant squid?
- Saving our Seas
Our oceans and the creatures that live in them are in danger, but why is this happening and what can we all do to help? Learn key terms like climate change, the greenhouse effect and how different kinds of pollution are harming the oceans. Most importantly we want to inspire you to be the change!
- Ocean Zones
Let’s dive deep into the ocean! Down in the Twilight and Midnight Zones and beyond, there’s a whole other world to explore! Discover how marine life has adapted to this harsh but fascinating environment and learn about some iconic deepsea creatures like the anglerfish, blobfish, gulper eel and much more.
- Coral Reefs
Coral reefs are hugely important ecosystems. What are corals and how do they build these amazing underwater structures? Why are they so important? Who lives on the coral reef? What threats do they face and how can we help them? We’ll answer these questions and more!
- Extreme Survival: Life at the Poles
Brrrrrr! How does marine life survive in the extreme conditions in the Arctic and Antarctic?
Find out about some of the amazing adaptations that have helped a group of marine animals make the freezer their home. We will also explore the challenges they face as sea temperatures rise.
Please note, we are shifting our public sessions to Outschool. It’s easy to join and you’ll still be able to enjoy the high-quality lessons you’re used to from WiseOceans. We will be adding all our topics in time and you’ll have the opportunity to sign up for our ongoing courses like our Ocean Explorer’s club or our Marine Megafauna Summer Camp.
- Join children across the world in our virtual classroom
- Meet one of our marine biologists
- Sessions are aimed at children aged 6-12 but all are welcome!
- Lots of topics to choose from
- Pick from any of our topics and enjoy an exclusive & interactive class with our marine biologist at a time to suit you
- Bring some friends & family along too if you want and share the cost
- It can be adapted to suit any age/ability – from 3 years old to adults – and everyone in between
Price: Up to 4 children: £24.
Up to 12 children: £36
If you have any remaining credits from our 6 for the price of 5 or gift certificates – don’t worry, we will be still be honouring these and will be in touch with you.
Schools and Teachers: Click here for more details on how to have a marine biologist in your classroom.
If you have any questions or need any further information please contact us
“My daughters did a ‘Dive into the Classroom’ session today & I think it’s fair to say it was their favourite lesson by far! This is what home schooling is all about! Engaging, interactive, fun learning (not with your frazzled parents!) that’s not trying to replicate school. They absolutely LOVED it. They’re now much more knowledgeable on coral reefs than me… as soon as the session ended, they asked when the next one is. Happy children = happy parents & it was so nice to see them enjoying it & for us to both be able to take a step back for a bit with the pressure off. Highly recommend these sessions and we can’t wait for the next one! Thank you, WiseOceans! 😃👍” Sophie Ford, UK
I thought the program was wonderful! We have an active group of 1st graders this year and they were very engaged! Thank you so much! Leslie Davis, Cleveland Elementary, Oklahoma City
The WiseOceans’ presentation held the interest of all the children in my P2/3/4 class. The style is informative, interactive and fun, providing lots of scope for follow up projects or lessons. Weeks have gone by and the children still ask when WiseOceans will be coming back for a visit! Keri Reed, P2/3/4 class & deputy Head Teacher
We really enjoyed your visit. All the children were enthusiastic about it and the teachers said how lovely it was to have an expert to answer the children’s questions. It was a great day and great value for money. Sarah Gledhill, Hawthorns 1st School, Durrington, UK