Be Wise about Marine Conservation jobs around the Globe
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer (Partner Support)
Contract duration: permanent
Start date: August 2017
Remuneration and benefits: Competitive salary based on experience
Blue Ventures is an award-winning marine conservation organisation working to rebuild tropical fisheries with coastal communities. We’re committed to protecting marine biodiversity in ways that benefit coastal people. We work in places where the ocean is vital to local cultures and economies, and where there is a fundamental unmet need to support human development.
Summary Job Description
Blue Ventures is seeking an exceptional early-career conservation professional with a passion for all things data to join our fast-growing UK team. The new position of Monitoring, evaluation and learning officer will play a key role in developing and maintaining data systems that track key conservation impact metrics across partners working to scale and replicate our marine conservation models globally.
As part of our ambition to reach at least three million people worldwide by 2020, we’re increasingly focusing on supporting like-minded organisations to implement some of our successful conservation approaches. This year we’ve joined forces with an amazing array of new partners from India, Indonesia and around the Western Indian Ocean region, and now we’re looking for a talented and highly numerate individual to help ensure these partners and communities have access to the technical support and monitoring systems they need to thrive.
In this varied and highly rewarding role, you’ll be improving data processes, supporting technical teams in the field to design effective monitoring programmes, and designing innovative systems for rapid data collection, management, analysis, visualisation and dissemination.
The successful candidate will ideally have a background in scientific monitoring and evaluation, and experience of managing large, varied datasets. An excellent understanding of developing data systems and processes is also highly desirable.
You should be a team player that thrives in a lively and hard working environment, ready to work across several teams and to solve problems under tight deadlines.
The Monitoring, evaluation and learning officer will report to the UK-based Head of monitoring and evaluation, and be preferably based in our Bristol office, with frequent international travel to work with colleagues, partners and field teams.
Blue Ventures is a fast growing and mission-driven social enterprise, offering excellent opportunities for further professional development.
Data management and reporting: scale and impact
- Support the development and implementation of tools and processes to capture key performance indicators related to the scale and impact of Blue Ventures conservation programmes.
- Ensure that Blue Ventures partner data are effectively and efficiently measured, capturing their contribution to global conservation impact.
- Develop and maintain secure “partner platform” launched integrating interactive dashboards with partner results and fisheries data with a comprehensive library of training materials and resources
- Work closely with the Head of monitoring and evaluation to collate impact reporting from global partnership support and outreach efforts.
Technical support and guidance for field teams
- Working with the Head of monitoring and evaluation and conservation programme staff, support BV technicians and partner field teams to develop and implement monitoring plans that capture progress on key activities, outputs and conservation outcomes.
- Work with the M&E team to develop and implement methods to understand changes in community attitudes and perceptions across different geographies and timescales
- Support on the identification of key research questions for testing and improving conservation models and the development of methods and sampling plans to achieve this with partners.
- Lead on the development of new data collection and management tools to support data collection and management across programmes.
- Work with field teams to develop and test systems for dissemination of data to a variety of audiences, including communities, partners, authorities and funders.
- Provide backstopping for colleagues on conservation team as required, and support or carry out overseas field visits, partner support visits, scoping visits, and other technical or outreach missions as required
- Work with the Head of monitoring and evaluation and field teams to improve online dashboards (using Tableau, Excel etc.) for reporting of key metrics across programmes, sites and countries
- Lead on internal and external dissemination of data and research outputs including working on priority analyses as needed for broader dissemination/peer review
- Work closely with partner support team and partner organisations to develop innovative communication mechanisms for engaging communities in using data to adapt local fisheries management
- Contribute content for funding proposals, donor reports, ad hoc updates, and presentations as required
Learning and training
- Work with the partner support team to identify and synthesise key lessons from partner sites for sharing across other partners and within BV sites
- Develop data toolkits for key in-country staff members to support training of partners in data processes from collection through to community reporting and adaptive management.
- Provide training in the use and implementation of data toolkits to key technical support staff.
Skills and Experience required
- Degree in related field such as Conservation and/or Development
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation, data management systems and processes
- Experience in developing or managing community-led monitoring programmes or citizen science platforms
- Previous project management experience including the development of logframes and associated reporting
- Expertise in research design, as well as data management, analysis and reporting
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office (particularly Excel) and Google Apps
- Experience with statistical analysis, GIS and data visualisation software
- Experience in teaching, capacity building, or of delivering training to diverse audiences, both to groups and in one-to-one settings
- Fluency in English
- Masters or equivalent in related field such as Conservation and/or Development
- Experience of designing and using participatory/collaborative socio-economic research methodologies
- Good knowledge of fisheries monitoring
- Experience of working in health or development projects
- Knowledge of database development and SQL
- Experience with statistical analysis, GIS and data visualisation software
- Excellent writing skills, with a proven track record in both report writing and peer-reviewed publication
Why work with us:
Mission: We operate at the frontline of some of the world's most pressing environmental and social problems, innovating effective and scalable responses with tropical coastal communities. We are recognised as a transformative force in our sector.
Working style: We're a fast-moving social enterprise, quick to embrace and implement promising ideas without bureaucracy.
Autonomy: We expect and support our staff to take a lead in their own work, offering scope for creativity and strategic input.
Professional development: We challenge and support our staff to grow their skills, providing considerable exposure to different work experiences and training opportunities.
Adventure: We offer extensive opportunities for travel, working in diverse environmental and cultural contexts.
Family: We look out for one another as we work closely together in challenging situations, celebrating successes and spurring each other on when the going gets tough.
Values: Our organisational values are central to everything we do:
- Communities first - Above all, we listen to community needs, responding in a sensitive and pragmatic way for long lasting benefits.
- Passion & belief - Our mission is urgent and critical, we believe that our models work, and we are determined to get the job done.
- Valued people & effective teams - We work in diverse and inclusive teams where all members have a voice and influence. We are effective because our work is integrated across teams and projects.
- Innovation & courage - We are resourceful and creative. We are prepared to take risks and challenge broken paradigms.
- Openness & humility - We are an open source social enterprise. We work in a transparent and collaborative way to pass on what we learn to others who share our vision and passion.
- Grounded in evidence - We have high standards and are not afraid to be self critical. If we see something that doesn’t work, we change tack until we’re on the right course.
Applicants should apply online, using the form HERE, by 9th July 2017.
Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and first-round interviews may be conducted with short-listed candidates before the application deadline.
All shortlisted candidates will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date.
Sign up to our weekly job alert email
Please mention WiseOceans when applying for any marine conservation job that you have seen on WiseOceans, thanks!
We’re a fantastic resource for those advertising marine conservation opportunities & those seeking that ‘dream job’…. but don’t just take our word for it…..
“We’ve been very impressed by the number and quality of applicants that have applied via WiseOceans, you’re currently our leading job site for recruitment! In terms of general feedback, I also really like the simplicity of sending you details by email, and the excellent customer support.” Ben Honey, Digital Media, Blue Ventures
“Thank you for advertising for my project. We certainly had many people apply through your website. I will use it in the future without hesitate! Thank you!” Karen Fuentes, Project Leader, Mexican Caribbean Manta Project
“Very useful, allowed me to secure an internship last year.” Student
“I am very appreciative of all of your help ….we will definitely use your site for advertising in the future!” Maren, Marine Centre, Velaa Private Island Maldives
“Your website is a great resource for individuals seeking marine science experience and it is really the only site that I have found that brings together all these opportunities from around the world.” Jennifer Keck, Roatan Institute for Marine Sciences (RIMS)
“I appreciate your help and quick response! Every year we receive applications from students who found us through WiseOceans, so we are happy to continue working with you on promoting our internship program!” Monica Pepe, Policy Manager Conservation and Education, WDC
“The website really helped get attention of applicants with good backgrounds in marine science (instead of those with a more general background in biology), so thank you very much for allowing us to advertise with you. We will definitely do so again in the future!” Hannah Gilchrist, Coral Reef and Seagrass Project Manager, Fuze Ecoteer
“Thanks so much, the advert went really well – high quality applicants via WiseOceans compared to others.” Daniel Fernando, Co-Founder, Blue Resources
“We will definitely be using your site again in the future.” Jennifer Keck, Education and Outreach Coordinator, Roatan Institute for Marine Science
“It’s amazing that you support small charities by allowing them to advertise for free, so thank you. I wish that your website had been around when I started out, as you have created a fantastic resource for marine conservationists! I am so jealous looking at all the jobs, and wish that I could apply!!!” Sarah Russell, Project Officer, St. Abbs and Eyemouth Voluntary Marine Reserve
“Thank you, we recieved lots of appliation and several were from your website. It was very helpful to have the position advertised with you. We found a great candidate, thank you.” Dr Gabriela Tezanos-Pinto, Massey University, New Zealand
“We have had plenty of really strong candidates apply. WiseOceans has been utterly great, a really useful platform and super speedy service too. Thanks for everything and we can’t wait to use you guys again in the future.” Matthew Keyes, Project Manager, Manta Watch Camp
“Thank you so much, WiseOceans is truly amazing and I want to say that I can not give you a more positive response! I commend you on automatically handling the posting so well and promptly. Your service is invaluable, especially in this time where the Oceans need so much help.” Jeremy Raynor, Coral Restoration Project Coordinator, The Amiga Island Ecological Foundation
Super blog by Reef Divers telling you why “Wise Work Job Board is your source for Marine Conservation Opportunities Around the World”. “You have some great opportunities on your WiseWork section, and I wish I would have known about this job board before! As a PADI instructor, we have access to a large employment board filled with tropical diving jobs. However, the conservation jobs are few and far between. WiseWorks narrows down the opportunities and temps me to get back out to sea.” Nicole Helgason, Reef Divers
“Thank you for hosting our internship posts this year, I hope to continue utilizing WiseOceans as a resource to advertise our internships at the Aquarium of the Pacific.” James Stewart, Education Coordinator, Aquarium of the Pacific
“WiseOceans is an excellent resource for anyone with an interest in taking care of our precious marine environment. Showcasing the best opportunities available internationally and within the UK, from charities to statutory agencies, this is a valuable resource for anyone looking to work or volunteer in the marine and coastal sector. As a small conservation charity conducting internationally renowned research, the National Lobster Hatchery is looking to attract the top personnel in the field, and the WiseOceans is a great platform from which to promote our vacancies to the right candidates.” Cat Wilding, Education Officer and Volunteer Co-ordinator, National Lobster Hatchery
“WiseOceans is a fantastic resource and really helped me during my search for voluntary work. Thanks to WiseOceans I successfully secured an Education Internship with the Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust during the summer of 2014. This was a brilliant opportunity and the experience I gained during my internship has recently helped me secure a paid position as Education Officer for the Trust. The WiseOcean’s team have created a fantastic website, which brings life changing opportunities together, making them accessible for all! Definitely one to watch, for any budding marine conservationists!” Pippa Garrard, Education Officer, The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust
“Love WiseOceans, found several placement opportunities and the best variety of marine science jobs.” Gordon, Jobseeker
“We received 120 applicants for a volunteer post and many of these applicants applied having seen the post on WiseOceans. The standard was extremely high. We are thrilled with the response and will use WiseOceans again in the future.” Operations Manager, The Manta Trust
“I’ve used the WiseOceans resource in the past – it’s excellent, congratulations.” Neil, Jobseeker
“We greatly appreciate your help in promoting our Marine Conservation Internship and would like to thank you for posting the opportunity on WiseOceans website. Thanks for helping us reach a broader range of conservation-minded individuals in the marine community!” REEF
“We’ve had over 95 applicants with many from people who looked at WiseOceans, thanks very much WiseOceans for your assistance.” Cetacean Research Unit
“We advertised on WiseOceans and most of our applicants seemed to come from here (including one that we recruited) so it is certainly an effective place to advertise for a site like Aldabra.” Dr Bunbury, Science and Projects Programme Coordinator, Seychelles Islands Foundation
“Will definitely use you all in the future.” Beth Nuttal, National Marine Sanctuary Foundation
“Thanks! We are getting the most amount of traffic via your website so we are very happy with your services.” Lauren Sparks, Project Manager/Field Scientist, Gili Shark Conservation
“WiseOceans jobs board is fantastic!” Bridgette, Jobseeker
“Thank you very much for advertising the tour on your website, it is very much appreciated. The website is very well organised, and serving as a ‘one stop shop’ for events, training, jobs etc. is certainly is a good idea.” Donal Griffin, Queen’s University, Belfast
“WiseOceans provides me with great opportunities in entering the marine world. The website helped me find internships all over the globe.” Steven, Jobseeker
“Here at ClientEarth we use WiseOceans when looking for new staff and interns who are passionate about environmental protection. Our Biodiversity team works on a number of exciting and forward-thinking projects within marine and wildlife conservation, including Sustainable Seafood Coalition and Common Fisheries Policy. We feel that advertising vacancies with WiseOceans gives us good exposure to the audience of professionals and recent graduates alike who are looking for careers in the field.” ClientEarth
“WiseOceans is a fantastic place to advertise our GIS courses. They’re great at getting the word out there and as an advertiser the interface is really easy and intuitive to use. Add to that their friendly and helpful staff and you’ve got a superb advertising resource. Thanks WiseOceans!” burdGIS
“I had a check at the WiseOceans pages for a volunteering gig in Mexico and was so impressed with the website!! Great work.” Matt, Student
“We had several interviews with people who heard of the position through WiseOceans – which is awesome, and many of these applicants are now going on to become members of our organisation and help with other roles…..So we couldn’t be happier! Thank you very much for helping us fill this role and connecting us with some fantastic volunteers. I will definitely let you guys know if we have other roles to fill in the near future.” Lou Ruddell, Founder/Director, Fin Fighters
“Thank you for helping promote our internship vacancy. Your website is great, will definitely recommend it to colleagues searching for jobs or internship positions in the future.” Valerie Chamberland, PhD candidate, Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics (IBED), University of Amsterdam
“WiseOceans is a great site for jobs, advice, information, education and much more!” Jess, Coordinator, Atoll Volunteers